News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

My apartment is a megalithic late 70s concrete block and I’m on the 29th of 32 storeys, and it is most certainly not well-ventilated. The laws of thermodynamics fit, heat rises, and it sucks 🤪

Buuuut I love my place. Especially the AC 👌🏼

I learned to live without AC in Australia in Perth which sees nigh time lows well into the 20's for the majority of the year. It takes a couple of weeks to acclimatize and then no looking back. AC consumes ridiculous amounts of energy and recycles stagnant air. Open windows do a much better job. I've been in Austin for almost a year and half now and also forego AC and other wasteful uses of energy like clothes driers.
It's hotter in Perth than it is in Calgary, but I think you might be remembering the weather as hotter than it was. Almost all of the year the evenings cool down decently.

1660621575324.png

Looks like we’re in for a pattern change come Monday night thank gods. Lots of rain next week, then closer to seasonal temps for a while (23 to 26 is still well above seasonal though).

Still might end up being one of our hottest August’s ever though.

I finally got around to installing ac in my house this year. Total game changer! My house doesn’t get above 21°. Most mornings it drops down to 18.5 during this heat wave but was seeing around 17° before the big heat. House stays below 21° until generally around 4pm so no ac until 4-5. I don’t sleep well above 20°. Keeping my bedroom door closed and my room is about 16-17° when I go to bed. So refreshing.

Wow we might get up to 50 mm of rain between Monday night and Wednesday. I’m sooo into that. Possibly even a bit today too 🥳

Yeah a nice three days of late-season rainfall coupled with above average temperatures well into September should prolong the leafy season a good bit.

Some varieties turn color due to amount of light....not sure which ones, but I suspect the ones turning yellow now are those varieties. Either that or it's from lack of moisture maybe?

This summer has definitely been one of the hotter ones. Calgary's average high for July is something like 23C, and 21C for August, but we haven't even had a day where the high has been below that. It has been around or above 30C for almost 6 straight weeks (Since the start of Stampede basically)

This has been one of the more consistently hot summers on record, which might be a bit surprising given the slow, cool and wet start. But ever since early July it's been remarkably consistent by Calgary standards - also with fewer monster hail storms than usual. A few different ways to slice it with the data from yycweatherrecords:

On track currently for the hottest average temperature month in Calgary's history:
1661191445743.png

Most consecutive days over 5 degrees (will likely set this record on Aug 30 if forecast is to be believed):

1661191232619.png

2nd longest streak of 27 degree highs on record:
1661191375853.png

Number of days above 30 per year over the past 75 years. 2022 is well above the recent decades averages.
1661191597267.png

With climate change, the biggest immediate difference for Calgary continues to be the fewer really cold days in the winter and the warmer nights and averages in the summer.

Lots of yellow leaves popping up already, think we will see an early autumn again this year. If the overnight lows don't get too cool, we may hang on to the colours a bit longer though!
The yellow is only because of how hot and tinder dry it’s been, nothing to do with an early fall

This has been one of the more consistently hot summers on record, which might be a bit surprising given the slow, cool and wet start. But ever since early July it's been remarkably consistent by Calgary standards - also with fewer monster hail storms than usual. A few different ways to slice it with the data from yycweatherrecords:

On track currently for the hottest average temperature month in Calgary's history:
View attachment 421940

Most consecutive days over 5 degrees (will likely set this record on Aug 30 if forecast is to be believed):

View attachment 421938

2nd longest streak of 27 degree highs on record:
View attachment 421939

Number of days above 30 per year over the past 75 years. 2022 is well above the recent decades averages.
View attachment 421947

With climate change, the biggest immediate difference for Calgary continues to be the fewer really cold days in the winter and the warmer nights and averages in the summer.
Holy crap. So not just our warmest august ever, our straightup warmest month on record. With the upcoming cooler temps we might lose that record, but still. Damn. Of the final 10 days of the month, 5 are forecast highs at 25 or above, and all forecast lows between 10 and 14, so we very well may break the record, if not smash it. We will most definitely surpass the 90 days above 5°. I wouldn’t be surprised to see 100+. There are no forecast lows below 10° for the next 15 days.

Pretty freaky that in the last ~140 years, 4 of the hottest months ever were this decade, and 5 in the last 15 years.

Last edited:
The yellow is only because of how hot and tinder dry it’s been, nothing to do with an early fall
True, but once the leaves start to turn yellow due to heat stress, it seems to trigger the tree shutting down earlier in fall. We had the exact same thing last year and I remember "fall" arriving early despite the weather staying warm.

Back