DSC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Toronto
Has anything been announced for Block 13 - the block on Bayview between Front and Mill Streets overlooking the Common? They are currently using it to store earth and I doubt anything can be built before the Games but it is clearly a prime site as it overlooks the Common.

That's where the TEN Arquitectos building will go, based on the winning plans. There are a number of renderings which include it in the dataBase entry; it's the stepped building with a pile of terraces. It is not part of the build-out for the Pan Am Village.

As a market condo it will be a while before we hear about it again. DundeeKilmer has a fair bit to sell out first: Canary District obviously is what they are selling now. The building which curves along with the Bayview extension north of Front will be the next of theirs to be marketed. Although not DundeeKilmer, apparently RiverCity phase 3 is being readied for marketing soon, so there will that to compete with in the area too.

Block 13 is also meant to be a luxury building, so depending on what price point it's pitched at, they may want an already established and successful neighbourhood to help them sell it. Well-heeled purchasers are less likely to want to feel like urban pioneers when moving to their new abode. Depending on how the market shakes out in the West Don Lands over the next few years, it could be quite a while before Block 13 shows up on radar.

Bruce Kuwabara said something to that degree in a talk many moons ago now. I don't know what his exact wording was, but it prompted me to ask for clarification from DundeeKilmer afterwards. I was told that TEN Arquitectos name was off the list of architects involved in the Pan Am Village for the time being only because the building was not going ahead yet. If the market allows for their design to be built once DundeeKilmer trains their sights on the site again, that TEN Arquitectos building can come back into play.

I certainly hope it does.

Bruce Kuwabara said something to that degree in a talk many moons ago now. I don't know what his exact wording was, but it prompted me to ask for clarification from DundeeKilmer afterwards. I was told that TEN Arquitectos name was off the list of architects involved in the Pan Am Village for the time being only because the building was not going ahead yet. If the market allows for their design to be built once DundeeKilmer trains their sights on the site again, that TEN Arquitectos building can come back into play.

I certainly hope it does.

Peter expressed a similar sentiment at a talk this spring at Waterloo.

I'll also add that the decision to go with grey instead of orange or blue as depicted in the renders came from George Brown, not DundeeKilmer or any of the architects.

There appears to be some excavation on the southeasternmost site, but I had thought that it (the Ten Arquitectos project) was in flux / going under a different architect? What's happening there after all, have we heard any more on that?

It's simply on hold for the time being. DundeeKilmer people say it will still be Ten Arquitectos, but don't have a go-ahead date for it yet.

I cannot say for sure, but I do recall hearing that Ten is no longer associated with this project, in its present stage, or otherwise.

It's simply on hold for the time being. DundeeKilmer people say it will still be Ten Arquitectos, but don't have a go-ahead date for it yet.

Bruce Kuwabara made the remark you're referring to at a talk a year or two ago. However, as I said, DundeeKilmer people will tell you that the Ten Arquitectos building is still in the plans, and say that the list of architects on the West Don Lands was pared down at one point to reflect only those involved in the buildings currently under construction. Here's hoping that the DundeeKilmer people do stick with the Ten plan when they get going on that site.

I guess this park west of Bayview will only exist for a year or two and then replaced with some future phase of Canary District.

IMG_0631.jpg

IMG_0632.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0631.jpg
    IMG_0631.jpg
    788.4 KB · Views: 4,947
  • IMG_0632.jpg
    IMG_0632.jpg
    738.7 KB · Views: 4,867
I guess this park west of Bayview will only exist for a year or two and then replaced with some future phase of Canary District.

That is correct. That area is being temporarily landscaped as gathering space for Pan Am Games participants.

Hi everyone, I was wondering about the plans for Block 13 (the temporary park within Front/Mill/Tannery/Bayview) - in 2017 someone in this thread mentioned construction was supposed to begin in 2018, but there still doesn't seem to be any information available. Does anyone know what the timeline here is?

Hi everyone, I was wondering about the plans for Block 13 (the temporary park within Front/Mill/Tannery/Bayview) - in 2017 someone in this thread mentioned construction was supposed to begin in 2018, but there still doesn't seem to be any information available. Does anyone know what the timeline here is?

I wonder if the developer is waiting for the completion of Canary Commons before making a proposal for this site. Would be a waste to continue letting it sit empty. Right now it's being used to store equipment and such.

I wonder if the developer is waiting for the completion of Canary Commons before making a proposal for this site. Would be a waste to continue letting it sit empty. Right now it's being used to store equipment and such.

From what I know, there's no proposal for the site. Even the brand new video on the canarydistrict.com website for Canary House shows this block as a vacant lot, while showing Blocks 8 and 20 as complete. The developer is surely waiting for other phases to finish before building this one in order to avoid flooding the market and to maximize profit. It makes sense for them and is consistent with how they've done things so far. I wouldn't expect to see anything here until 2023.

Back