8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Allandale25

Member Bio
Reaction score

Event coming up: TRCA will host an online Public Information Centre (PIC) meeting on Thursday, February 25 at 6:00 PM.

Project Location​

The project is located southwest of the intersection of Eglinton Avenue East and Don Mills Road, in the City of Toronto. The project area is along a section of the West Don River that flows through the Ernest Thompson Seton Park. There are three clusters of erosion hazards sites within the project area (see map below).

1613571043008.png

Event coming up: TRCA will host an online Public Information Centre (PIC) meeting on Thursday, February 25 at 6:00 PM.

View attachment 300406

For the site adjacent to the ET Seton (north) parking lot, the problem is glaringly obvious using Sat. Photos.

The parking lot is about to go in the drink.

1613572399056.png

From this Streetview photo below we can see that the parking is sited far too close to the river bank; it breaks the TRCA's own rule of being no less than 10M from stable top of bank.

1613572351593.png

What I would like to see here is the outright removal of the row of spaces closest to the river, to allow room to shape a 'natural' 45 degree slope down to the river, and create a planted buffer zone at the top.

Truth be told, I'd rather get rid of the parking, but I don't see that happening, so I'll settle for shrinking the lot to allow an ecological gain and protection of infrastructure.

This appears to be the second site in:

1613572680712.png

Here, much as I value natural buffers, that doesn't appear to be the critical issue (without having read the Geomorphic study).

I expect there will be some minor re-alignment of the river here, then backfill in and reconstruct the bank. But if they want to add some natural area, I'll take it.

The damage is spot three is less obvious by Sat. Photo, but one can see how close the river is to undermining the bike trail.

I'm only guessing at this stage, as the materials aren't yet online, but I expect this will be new hardened bank (Armour Stone)

It would be nice to soften the turn and restore some habitat; but as this is directly across from the Archery Range there is very little spare real estate.

1613572969434.png

For the site adjacent to the ET Seton (north) parking lot, the problem is glaringly obvious using Sat. Photos.

The parking lot is about to go in the drink.

View attachment 300408

From this Streetview photo below we can see that the parking is sited far too close to the river bank; it breaks the TRCA's own rule of being no less than 10M from stable top of bank.

View attachment 300407

What I would like to see here is the outright removal of the row of spaces closest to the river, to allow room to shape a 'natural' 45 degree slope down to the river, and create a planted buffer zone at the top.

Truth be told, I'd rather get rid of the parking, but I don't see that happening, so I'll settle for shrinking the lot to allow an ecological gain and protection of infrastructure.

This appears to be the second site in:

View attachment 300409

Here, much as I value natural buffers, that doesn't appear to be the critical issue (without having read the Geomorphic study).

I expect there will be some minor re-alignment of the river here, then backfill in and reconstruct the bank. But if they want to add some natural area, I'll take it.

The damage is spot three is less obvious by Sat. Photo, but one can see how close the river is to undermining the bike trail.

I'm only guessing at this stage, as the materials aren't yet online, but I expect this will be new hardened bank (Armour Stone)

It would be nice to soften the turn and restore some habitat; but as this is directly across from the Archery Range there is very little spare real estate.

View attachment 300410

Re the archery range...I believe this is near/at where the Ontario Line will traverse?

Re the archery range...I believe this is near/at where the Ontario Line will traverse?
I believe the plan (without looking back at the preliminary routing) was just to the south of the Range (so very close by, yes)

Last edited:
Meeting was held on this, and presentation slides are up.

They can be found, here: https://s3-ca-central-1.amazonaws.c.../23095805/Seton-PIC1-Presentation-Feb19-1.pdf

From said presentation: (area, + preliminary preferred alternative); for other options, please see the link above.

1615490577277.png

1615490650407.png

1615490680105.png

1615490712327.png

1615490740466.png

1615490770493.png

Work is tentatively scheduled for 2024/2025

My comments:

I broadly agree with the three concepts above.

However, in the case of area 1, I did identify to the TRCA that I feel the parking area should see the spaces which closely encroach on the creek bank removed to allow a more a natural, less erosion-prone slope/bank.

I have also advocated for considering whether this would be an ideal time for a joint project with the City to 'green' the parking lot by using permeable paving materials and naturalized buffer landscapes of native plants.

Should anyone else wish to the share their thoughts, commenting is open only for the next days, to March 14th.

That link is here: https://forms.office.com/Pages/Resp...q0PnaNZBUNTM4SElINTZRQ1hNQllSNDg3WTdUVFBTVi4u

Maybe by this weekend or next, the stairs from Eglinton to the parking lot will be ready to be use. 1st flight of stairs with railing on it at the base with the rest waiting installing. Steel stairs and not sure what type of treads are being used as too far away to see it. Could have concrete treads that will be pour once in place.

Area 3 in this project is now substantially complete:

1691161172615.png

Credit: TRCA

Trees and shrubs will be added later; for now, you can see live stakes of shrubs on the lower bank, and grass seed on the top.

Areas 1 and 2 will proceed soon.

Maybe by this weekend or next, the stairs from Eglinton to the parking lot will be ready to be use. 1st flight of stairs with railing on it at the base with the rest waiting installing. Steel stairs and not sure what type of treads are being used as too far away to see it. Could have concrete treads that will be pour once in place.
I *think* the stairs are part of the Crosstown project. The stairs have been in place for years. They added the lighting last summer (2022), but they are still blocked off. Similarly, the new paved path into the park from the north side of Eglinton is there, but closed off, and with landscaping incomplete.

If they are part of the Crosstown, I assume they won't be handed over to the city and opened for some time. It's frustrating to see infrastructure largely complete, but not in service.

Area 3 in this project is now substantially complete:

View attachment 497626
Credit: TRCA

Trees and shrubs will be added later; for now, you can see live stakes of shrubs on the lower bank, and grass seed on the top.

Areas 1 and 2 will proceed soon.

Hopefully they will repave the trail between the Science Centre and the parking lot when they finish doing areas 1 and 2. It was supposed to be done in 2021, when they repaved the part south of the Science Centre.

IMG_20220707_182312.jpg

I *think* the stairs are part of the Crosstown project. The stairs have been in place for years. They added the lighting last summer (2022), but they are still blocked off. Similarly, the new paved path into the park from the north side of Eglinton is there, but closed off, and with landscaping incomplete.

If they are part of the Crosstown, I assume they won't be handed over to the city and opened for some time. It's frustrating to see infrastructure largely complete, but not in service.
They are part of the Crosstown improvements. And agreed about the frustration - the stairs on the south were completed in the fall of 2021, and could have been made available for use at that time.

Dan

Back