39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Daveography

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
An American discount-apparel retailer and a grocery store will likely be the new tenants of the former Target store at West Edmonton Mall.

“The upper level will likely be the American company, at least a portion of it. Downstairs, we are having serious talks with a couple of grocery chains — one is an upscale grocer and another is a mass market grocer,” said David Ghermezian, president of West Edmonton Mall.

The former Target store, which has 126,000 square feet of available space, is located on the south-east corner of West Edmonton Mall. It was closed down permanently last year, along with all three of Target’s stores in Edmonton and 130 other stores in Canada.

Ghermezian said the discount-apparel store would be new to Canada, while the grocery chains already have a presence in Edmonton.

Full Story (Edmonton Journal)

I'm happy to see WEM still attracting new retailers and putting money into renovating and upgrading the mall, but I think comments like "I think the days are numbered for luxury stores downtown" is a bit douchey given how hard the city and many citizens and businesses have been working to make downtown a destination again.

A member of the family that developed West Edmonton Mall and other giant international shopping centres thinks the future of retail could be small.

Mark Ghermezian has helped develop the mall’s new RAAS (Retail as a Service) market that features tiny spaces where local businesses can quickly set up shop without the time and expense of creating their own stand-alone operation.

“How do we get rid of all the barriers to … opening up a retail storefront for locals, for artisans? There’s so many great brands out there in Edmonton,” he said Tuesday.

“We have done a great job of building mega-malls. How do we build that micro-mall?”

The market provides tenants with cubes, triangles and rectangles from which to work that range in size from six square metres to little more than a table top, in space near the Santa Maria pirate ship.

It has 25 merchants selling health and beauty products, art, clothing, home decor and food, including Pura Botanicals, Apollo Originals and Moonshine Doughnuts.

http://edmontonjournal.com/business...is-micro-malls-says-west-edmonton-mall-owners

Micro mall concept gives local vendors exposure to West Edmonton Mall traffic
A new retail opportunity, previously out of reach for many, is now available for local businesses in Edmonton.

“It’s not what anyone expected. I think it exceeds anyone’s expectations of what it was going to look like,” said Brad McNamara with Apollo Originals. His businesses is one of 25 local vendors who are set up in RAAS (Retail As A Service) at West Edmonton Mall.

The micro mall concept is described as a chic and modern market that is a new step into retail for some brands.

“I think the biggest thing is we would probably never be able to afford to be in West Edmonton Mall if it wasn’t for an opportunity like this,” McNamara said.

https://globalnews.ca/news/3835916/...ndors-exposure-to-west-edmonton-mall-traffic/

I saw this on the Retail Council of Canada and thought this was quite interesting.

Good idea @KyleBlanchett
My favorite mall, I try to get there about once a decade. I'll venture over next when I can take the LRT, ;)
I am happy for the malls success. Yes, I had hoped that the Ghermezians would have developed downtown way back when, but then we wouldn't have WEM would we?

I don't know if anyone here has seen this persons YouTube channel, "Best Edmonton Mall". Very well done videos and a pretty extensive resource from old commercials to just about anything WEM. Hilarious stuff. Did you know Bette and Veronica from Archie's comics visited the mall, he he?

Back