39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

NorthYorkEd

Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Toronto
This neighbourhood always ranks low in those Toronto Life articles, for whatever that is worth. I actually think it was once ranked dead last.

When we mentioned that we were eyeballing a few of the condo buildings in the Antibes/Torresdale area, we got a look like..."ugh."

This area apparently gets no love, and has not been identified as one of the nodes the city intends to nurture and grow.

Sure, it has several strikes -- fairly isolated from amenities, and is surrounded by hydro towers, rental buildings, and a slightly shabby streetscape, especially along Bathurst from Finch to Steeles. But is it really that bad? Looks pleasant enough, and there is a steady stream of transit in and around.

Not sure if it has a local reputation or if there are other factors we (as somewhat newcomers) are not aware of.

Any locals (or those in the know) want to share their thoughts on this neighbourhood?

Never even heard of it before. Is this one of those fake neighbourhoods invented by a local BIA to hopefully attract some sort of "tourism" to a lame area that people would otherwise never travel to unless they lived there?

I grew up in this area and I still live fairly close. It's very suburban in character, lots of strip malls, detached houses, tower-in-the-park apartments, things like that, so it doesn't have the typical neighbourhood character you see around older areas of the city, though it's still walkable in terms of shopping if you live closer to the major intersections. It's very safe though and has pretty good access to transit, the Allen, the library and skating rink at bathurst/finch, and G Ross Lord park is huge and pretty great, I spent a lot of time there as a kid.

Back