News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Sounds awesome! You legit bought a farm just because your daughter rides horses?

Yup. We owned and boarded one and they (daughter and missus) started talking about getting a second. The math told me the mortgage required was cheaper than another monthly board (and no equity at the end). We ended up with four (well, 2 + 1/2 + 1/2; two were minatures). To be clear, it was nothing fancy and simply a hobby farm. Any of the arable land that we didn't need for paddocks was leased out to a cash-cropper.

Yeah, that's sort of what I like about my job...the tangible results make it easy to stay sane on difficult/ridiculous/banal/boring/shit projects.

the benefit of manual labour and the trades.

I'm in the US and from what I see, the whole trend of young folks becoming more dependant on parents and moving out later/having their first job later is still a thing as it is in Canada (though Toronto now gives most expensive US cities like NYC, SF, and LA, a run for their money in unaffordability, especially given the salaries are higher stateside for many white collar jobs). I wonder how generalizable it is and if it is becoming a worldwide trend as populations become more urban, schooled and more dependant on jobs that require longer schooling, credentialism etc.

But Americans still have the greater emphasis on the whole "moving out and going away to college experience" for their teens/young adults that is not as prominent in Canada. That is somewhat costly since I assume in many cases parents are providing support for these "4 best years of their life" (unless the student is really self-reliant and takes it on him/herself to pay back all the loans and expenses that come from that).

In urban Canada, there is at least not as much of a stigma about staying at home until finishing any kind of schooling post-secondary, like college or university -- at least in the current generation (and only moving out once you have your full job). Canadians seem to see college/university in more pragmatic ways too than stateside and in Canada there is still good opportunities in the trades but nonetheless Canada is said to be one of the most "educated" countries (by share of people who are post-secondary), some would say "overeducated" in the sense of barista with a masters of arts kind of way.

In urban Canada, there is at least not as much of a stigma about staying at home until finishing any kind of schooling post-secondary, like college or university -- at least in the current generation
IDK, I’m certainly encouraging my daughters to pursue education away from home. I think it’s holding back a young adult’s development if their first time leaving the nest is in their mid to late 20s.

This holding adults back is such a new thing. My dad was married, had three kids, a sales mgmt job at J. Walter Thompson (JWT) and in 1976 had emigrated us all from Britain to Canada by the time he was 24. In 1991 upon high school graduation, I left home at 19 to attend university in Ottawa, with plans to return to Britain to do my Masters. I only returned home for holidays and summer break, and never returned once I started my f/t job in 1996.

I want my daughters to see the world and all its opportunities and experiences, not sit on a TTC bus to and from their bedroom to the local classroom - that’s essentially high school redux. So, as long as the RESPs hold out, I’m encouraging them both to seek post-secondary education away from home.

dR47OWATJ38hC8gyzVOjAR-M4HUc1kLA_5XXhXIKOm8.PNG

I have to hope that Italy, Greece and Spain above is due to unemployment and housing cost in the PIIGS.

Last edited:
IDK, I’m certainly encouraging my daughters to pursue education away from home. I think it’s holding back a young adult’s development if their first time leaving the nest is in their mid to late 20s.

This holding adults back is such a new thing. My dad was married, had three kids, a sales mgmt job at J. Walter Thompson (JWT) and in 1976 had emigrated us all from Britain to Canada by the time he was 24. In 1991 upon high school graduation, I left home at 19 to attend university in Ottawa, with plans to return to Britain to do my Masters. I only returned home for holidays and summer break, and never returned once I started my f/t job in 1996.

I want my daughters to see the world and all its opportunities and experiences, not sit on a TTC bus to and from their bedroom to the local classroom - that’s essentially high school redux. So, as long as the RESPs hold out, I’m encouraging them both to seek post-secondary education away from home.

dR47OWATJ38hC8gyzVOjAR-M4HUc1kLA_5XXhXIKOm8.PNG

I have to hope that Italy, Greece and Spain above is due to unemployment and housing cost in the PIIGS.

Do we know if the Euro stats above consider university residence to be 'leaving the parental home?'.

In many cases students return to live w/parents in summer, and continue to receive mail at the parents address (less these days); but also, typically the financial connection remains where mom/dad pay most of the bills.

I would tend to consider household separation to occur when a young person becomes self-sufficient to the largest degree.

I would also wonder what role the affordability of housing plays in all this.

We know its an issue here in Toronto and in Vancouver; in the US its an issue in NYC, DC, SF and many others.

I can't imagine its not an issue in London, and Paris.

Well it is true kids living at home can be spoiled but some are fine...

I find a Christian western Philopshy is that you have to suffer or struggle to earn your way through life, but i have a feeling that thinking no longer exists with people these days.

67% of Canadian students worry they won’t get a job due to COVID-19: StatsCan

Updated May 12, 2020 5:29 pm

As I once said in the Why Don't Teens Have Jobs thread, having a career as a YouTuber or a professional e-athlete isn't viable for the majority of the post-secondary students. Under 10% of YouTubers earn enough from YouTube alone to pay their living expenses at a minimum. Under 10% of e-athletes earn enough from video game competitions to pay their living expenses at a minimum.

This sometimes weighs on my mind. By the time my father was my age, he had already escaped life in the old East Bloc, and tried his luck in three countries on two continents before arriving in Canada. In contrast, your description of the TTC bus from home to classroom describes my 20's experience as I frankly didn't have the resources to consider school outside of Toronto.

Toronto is home to me and I am well-traveled, but I do wonder if I should make good use of my EU passport for a few years. It's difficult to balance those yearnings with my desire to establish myself career-wise.

This sometimes weighs on my mind. By the time my father was my age, he had already escaped life in the old East Bloc, and tried his luck in three countries on two continents before arriving in Canada. In contrast, your description of the TTC bus from home to classroom describes my 20's experience as I frankly didn't have the resources to consider school outside of Toronto.

Toronto is home to me and I am well-traveled, but I do wonder if I should make good use of my EU passport for a few years. It's difficult to balance those yearnings with my desire to establish myself career-wise.

Family is really the only thing stopping me from permanently bolting for the EU (I'm a dual citizen). Born and raised in Toronto, but this city has come to exhaust me over time, especially in recent years. It has become increasingly and dramatically difficult to envision much of a future here.

Family is really the only thing stopping me from permanently bolting for the EU (I'm a dual citizen). Born and raised in Toronto, but this city has come to exhaust me over time, especially in recent years. It has become increasingly and dramatically difficult to envision much of a future here.
I'm determined to personally find a way forward for myself in Toronto. Though it's becoming increasingly clear that retirement in Canada isn't much of an option for my parents. Plus the weather is rather miserable to boot.

Someone in this thread mentioned Spain earlier, and that is an extremely enticing retirement prospect for my parents due to language compatibility, weather, EU membership, relatively cheaper cost of living, and high quality of life.

Back