News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

UrbanAffair

Member Bio
Reaction score
Hello friends and fellow forumers!!

I am looking to purchase a new SLR Camera for taking awesome photos of buildings, as well as for going on trips to take shots with.

I need something that would be good for zooming, panoramic shots, far far away shots from on top of mountains etc, as well as close shots with people in them and scenery behind....You know what i mean Im sure, typical tourist shots, but something much better than the small 6.2 canon camera I have for basic picture taking.

Any thoughts opinions?? I was looking at the canon rebel T21 W/18-55 EF-S IS, although I have no idea what all that means, it was recommended by a friend. I was thinking henry's is a good place to purchase, but need your thoughts since there are many on the site that know their cameras.

Any thoughts and opinions are very welcome. PM me or just reply to this thread...

Thanks and be well!!

What is your budget? Are you willing switch lenses?

For the purposes you describe, I think the Olympus E-PL1 with the 14-150mm F4.0-5.6 lens would probably be best if you want a single lens. This particular model has the best JPEG image quality out there (good if you don't want to mess with RAW), and this body and lens combination is by far the most compact you will find for what you describe. It is a good camera for someone who is used to compacts. Together they will set you back about $1200 dollars.

In-depth review here: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/OlympusEPL1/

Remember that you should always try out any camera you consider purchasing, but also remember it is the choice of lens(es) that ultimately matter more. Henrys is good place to buy I think. It has a good return policy and a wide selection in store for you to try out. It is kind of expensive though.

I recently picked up a T2i which is an amazing camera. Shoots HD video and is a great camera to grow into.

In terms of buying one, Henry's is usually one of the more expensive places to get it. I did my research on this site called http://www.photoprice.ca/ It shows the prices of a number of stores including shipping so that you can find the cheapest one around. I ended up ordering mine from Mcbain Camera.

If you looking for some higher quality shots, you could probably just purchase the body only and spend some extra money picking up a better lens. A site like http://the-digital-picture.com/ is a great spot to view all sorts of review of Canon lenses to help you with your purchase.

I also just picked up a Canon T2i with a Tamron 18-270 lens and am very happy with it. I checked around on prices in Toronto and New York and the clear winner was Aden Camera on Yonge St. near Dundas. Great service too. The camera your friend recommended will set you back about $1300 with taxes and accessories but I would go with a different lens for more range, maybe an 18-135 as opposed to an 18-55. A much cheaper option is to buy the camera I've been shooting with for the last year and the one I've used for all the pix I've posted on UT up until last week. You can see a lot of the pix on this thread; http://urbantoronto.ca/showthread.php?9722-My-Toronto. I was just about to list it on Kijiji for $250.

Not to jack your thread, but my employer has asked me to look into a digital SLR for us and I really have no idea. It would be for taking photos of urban landscapes and landscaping/streetscape projects we complete. Budget is $1000 (including taxes) for body and lenses. Any suggestions?

budget is around 1000, but willing to go up to 1300 if its really worth it for a good lens, etc...and you guys think aden would be a good spot to purchase? Im leaving tomorrow for switzerland and the lugano region in particular, so mountains and lakes etc, thusly scenery pics are important...

Thanks again people for the help!!

Also looking for a camera with hd video shooting as well, so I can do all in one, which I realize does limit my options...

Back