9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

Glen

Member Bio
Reaction score
It is common to hear our municipal politicians complain about 'gridlock', especially in the context of the need for a down town congestion tax.

The latest Cordon Count figures are out and it suggest that the Toronto and the central core is becoming less congested, not more.

The growth in vehicle trips between the ‘905’ regions has
been particularly strong. This growth has been fueled by
rapid expansion in population as well as new employment
centres that have located in the ‘905’ region. Additionally,
new high speed and major transportation infrastructure such
as Highway 407 that straddles the ‘905’ region has
contributed to this growth. As a result, reverse commuting
and cross commuting patterns have become more
predominant than was observed in 1991. The Central Area
Cordon has actually recorded a slight decrease in vehicular
trips in the peak direction (inbound), which is testament to
the fact that new employment has been locating outside the
traditional downtown, in areas which are relatively more
accessible by a high speed road network. Total transit
ridership from and to the Central Area Cordon was
relatively stable from 2001 to 2006.

The only screenline that showed a decrease for both the total
count period and the combined peak period was the Central
Area Cordon. The Central Area Cordon experienced a
decrease of 11% during both the combined morning and
afternoon peak period and the total count period.

Hey Glen, don't forget to remind the last person downtown to please turn off the lights.

Should I have put a warning that this thread is not suited to Pollyanna's?

Should I have put a warning that this thread is not suited to Pollyanna's?

Pot-calling-the-kettle-black-734818.jpg

:D

Time to put an elevated section down the middle of the 401 for those not stopping in the 416. No exits whatsoever except in Oshawa and Missisauga. Thank you, drive through!

Personally, I don't get driving from one 905 section to another. Why not just move? You can probably buy another cookie-cutter single-detached house that looks just like the one you live in now...

Time to put an elevated section down the middle of the 401 for those not stopping in the 416. No exits whatsoever except in Oshawa and Missisauga. Thank you, drive through!

Personally, I don't get driving from one 905 section to another. Why not just move? You can probably buy another cookie-cutter single-detached house that looks just like the one you live in now...

But would you want to live there?

I commute from Mississauga to Vaughan for work. Its about 20-30 minutes even in rush hour. I love my neighbourhood in Mississauga and have yet to find anywhere in Vaughan where I would want to live.

I'll stay in Mississauga, thanks!

(Not really, I move downtown next week!)

A story a professor once told me:

When he was doing his masters at York U in the mid 1970s, his thesis advisor commuted from Montreal. He would fly to Pearson in the morning and he hired TA to pick him up at the airport. At the end of the day, the TA would drop him off at Pearson and he would fly home.

Now, this story may or may not be true, but his point was that if someone likes their neighbourhood enough, they will be willing to commute. Clearly, this guy loved working in Toronto and his family loved living in Montreal. He liked them both enough to make it work.

Not everyone will have to money to finance a commute like this, but its never going to be as easy as asking people to move closer to where they work. Of course we should be building mixed use developments, but we're going to have a tough time getting people to live and work in the same complex.

I knew a prof who flew between Toronto and Boston three times a week - for seven years. Now he commutes by train from Toronto to Kingston four times a week.

In this day and age, people don't see themselves working for the same company for 40 years, so why would anyone move from, say, Pickering to Brampton to be close to a new job, when they could be working in Markham 5 years down the road?

As for the commuting stats, they underline why a London-style downtown road toll would be a stupid idea in Toronto. They need to get people out of their cars at Highway 7 and Leslie more than at Jarvis and Shuter. Start taxing surface parking lots at a higher rate, and make free parking at work a taxable benefit, and the behaviours of companies and individuals will start to change.

My drive from Cabbagetown to my office at 14th Ave and Markham Rd. has been easy so far. Down Sackville, along Gerrard, north on River to Bayview, then straight up the DVP to the 401, 401 to Markham and turn left at 14th Ave. It's exactly 30 km from door to door, and takes me about 35 minutes. When I worked at Yonge and Lawrence and used to take the TTC to work it would take about that long, especially if I had to walk to Yonge due to lack of streetcars along Gerrard.

I haven't experienced any gridlock yet.

The only recurring traffic problem downtown I see is the Gardiner choke-points; Spadina, York and Bay. They are getting worse as the immediate areas around them are rapidly developed.

I suppose everyone's definition of gridlock is different. During my five years of commuting from Yong & Eglinton to Warden & Hwy 7 I was never able to find a consistantly satisfactory route through or around the 401/404 area, and believe me: I tried every possible combination of sideroads, highways and cowpaths you can imagine. Some days were better than others, but all it took was a fender bender or a bit of rain or a single lane closed for construction and my commute was suddenly doubled or tripled in length. Not to mention that I also found it stressful, that constant merging and battling with other angry and frustrated motorists. Some people are not bothered by it, but it wore me down after a few years. That's what I think of when I hear the phrase "gridlock".

Today as a pedestrian I still see daily jams along all the north-south routes downtown, particularly on streets like Sherbourne, Jarvis, and Yonge as motorists all try to crush southward to the Gardiner, getting stuck in intersections in a honking mass that is bad enough to obstruct crosswalks and endanger pedestrians. The Esplanade, which as the name suggests is generally a pretty nice street to walk along, is not so relaxing during rush hour as many commuters use it as an East-West alternative to Front St, gunning their engines after every speed bump and barely tapping their brakes at the stop signs. I see that as overflow that shows the main roads can't handle the traffic at peak times.

At any rate, "Toronto's gridlock is not as bad as XXXX city's gridlock yet" is hardly an argument not to plan ahead. You can debate the meaning of gridlock but Toronto's traffic is bad enough to be frustrating, and it will only get worse; now is the time to plan for the future and make sensible changes. That said, I'm also not convinced that a downtown toll system like London UK is the right solution for Toronto. But neither is doing nothing.

Actually as someone who lives in the old city of Toronto and drives regularly in the area is it just me or is traffic right now substantially heavier than previous years? This may however be one of the busiest times of year because school still isn't out, there is good weather so people are doing things and people aren't up north or out of the country for the summer yet. I've also noticed that traffic gets heavier and heavier on the weekend. Weekend traffic sometimes exceeds rush hour traffic. It doesn't effect me as much because in the areas I travel I know how to snake through residential side streets and even back lane short-cuts but the main arterials some days are fairly heavy. The back to school fall period is also very heavy, while traffic trails off considerably in the winter.

905 gridlock is more of a problem because it can't be easily rectified. The land-use patterns in the 'burbs make traditional public transit a tougher sell. It will continue to get worse and building more roads isn't a way out. As this USA Today article should remind us, if you're widening a road from 14 to 24 lanes ro relieve congestion, a light should have probably turned on a little earlier.

I think the best solution is corporate-supported public transit, similar to what Google does in the Bay Area. Since there are office "clusters", a number of offices could work together to provide bus services from specific nodes. For example, East Beaver Creek to Finch subway station every half an hour, or from MCC to the Mississauga Road and 401 area, etc. The objective of public transit agencies would then be to get commuters to the nodes where the corporate-sponsored office park shuttles would depart.

Back