8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

3Dementia

Member Bio
Reaction score
Unlikely since they themselves announced this funding.

AoD

The Horrific fire at Notre Dame made me think... what kind of fire will level what's left of our built city. Betting on crap developers in the core to do most of the work but Ford beyond the core(bye bye Bucky masterpieces).

The Horrific fire at Notre Dame made me think... what kind of fire will level what's left of our built city. Betting on crap developers in the core to do most of the work but Ford beyond the core(bye bye Bucky masterpieces).

I was thinking whether our leaders and compatriots have the fortitude to commit to the kind of restoration the Parisians will be undertaking, should disaster befalls us. My gut feeling is probably not - they probably think it's an opportunity for facadism.

AoD

I was thinking whether our leaders and compatriots have the fortitude to commit to the kind of restoration the Parisians will be undertaking, should disaster befalls us. My gut feeling is probably not - they probably think it's an opportunity for facadism.

AoD

So so so cynical aod... but I guess ur right.

Gotta be impressed with the instant international response to ND disaster... enough euros to fix and build a school to boot - kinda of astonishing-even history/faith aside. Wonder if our tower fell down what would happen ... concrete for the Leslie spit? OK that's cynical too.

I feel like they would rebuild Parliament Hill (especially the centre block and the library) if it were to burn down the way NDC did.

I feel like they would rebuild Parliament Hill (especially the centre block and the library) if it were to burn down the way NDC did.

Ottawa - of course, it would be suicidal for any government in power not to. Ontario? Good luck - I'd consider it a win if they don't actively tear down their own heritage for some "world-class" whatever.

AoD

Ottawa - of course, it would be suicidal for any government in power not to. Ontario? Good luck - I'd consider it a win if they don't actively tear down their own heritage for some "world-class" whatever.

AoD

I'll leave it to mods to move this comment somewhere. After a rather lengthy search of "new city hall threat" I found nothing.

Did write a half page op-ed piece called "Save our NEW City.. Hall". There was a brief threat to the new hall when they were building Metro Hall. Did I save New City Hall with a letter? Of course not. But yelled a bit. Even spell-checked ... but couldn't find a hint of this brief tempest in a teapot. Anyway yell a bit outside of the forum. Sure many of u do.

Still suprised there's nutin' about this. Talking New City Hall, not Old City Hall. Cheers

Depends on which building burns down- Notre Dame was saved essentially by its massive stone construction- I think most of Toronto's major buildings will likely be much more heavily damaged due to their less permanent construction- for instance, with St. James, the entire roof and everything inside the church would likely would be lost. It might even end up being a Christchurch situation where the remnants can't be stabilized and the remaining walls will be torn down.

Regardless, buildings like St. James, St. Michael, City Hall, or Queens Park would likely be rebuilt in some form- but likely not in the same way, as Toronto doesn't have the same deep cultural connection to those buildings the way Paris has.

That leaves the reconstruction up to more interpretation- architects will be salivating at the opportunity to put their own 'spin' on the reconstruction, whereas with Paris, there will likely be a heavier citizen push to restore the spire as it once was (though I expect the Macron government to still push for a modern interpretation).

I sort of dread the results of this competition: https://www.dezeen.com/2019/04/17/notre-dame-spire-competion-news/ and what reinterpretive proposal will win, like what a few cheeky Brits are already proposing:

Last edited:
Depends on which building burns down- Notre Dame was saved essentially by its massive stone construction- I think most of Toronto's major buildings will likely be much more heavily damaged due to their less permanent construction- for instance, with St. James, the entire roof and everything inside the church would likely would be lost. It might even end up being a Christchurch situation where the remnants can't be stabilized and the remaining walls will be torn down.

Regardless, buildings like St. James, St. Michael, City Hall, or Queens Park would likely be rebuilt in some form- but likely not in the same way, as Toronto doesn't have the same deep cultural connection to those buildings the way Paris has.

That leaves the reconstruction up to more interpretation- architects will be salivating at the opportunity to put their own 'spin' on the reconstruction, whereas with Paris, there will likely be a heavier citizen push to restore the spire as it once was (though I expect the Macron government to still push for a modern interpretation).

I sort of dread the results of this competition: https://www.dezeen.com/2019/04/17/notre-dame-spire-competion-news/ and what reinterpretive proposal will win, like what a few cheeky Brits are already proposing:
View attachment 182484
The French are not going to turn to les rosbif for the ideas on this project.

The French are not going to turn to les rosbif for the ideas on this project.
Oh, they are going turn to the whole world for this.

Foster himself is already almost giddy about it (proving that the Architectural profession is eternally optimistic yet opportunistic):
Norman Foster of Thames Bank, one of Britain’s most famous architects, said that the competition was an “extraordinary opportunity” that would prove irresistible to anyone in the profession. He suggested submissions should embrace the boldness of the original builders, who pushed the limits of the technology of their day with their flying buttresses.

Foster is most well-known for his project of an enormous glass dome that was added while rebuilding the Reichstag in Berlin in 1999, which had been burnt down by the Nazis. He suggested that the new Cathedral’s spire could be “a work of art about light” and should be “contemporary and very spiritual and capture the confident spirit of the time”. He even published a possible project with a glass roof and spire, which quickly caught the attention of netizens.

Money is no problem here- what this competition will really be about is a competition between restoration and reinterpretation. Spencer Gervasoni puts it well:
"After this inconceivable episode, there will be gargantuan challenges, but there may yet be some things to look forward to," suggests Gervasoni. "This is undoubtedly the largest-ever global discourse about historic preservation and architectural tradition. And what will follow will not be easy. The restoration and rebuilding of Notre Dame might have precedent in physical scale, but not in cultural scale. Accordingly, it will ignite impassioned debates older than the smoldering timbers themselves about beauty, authenticity, and morality in the things we build."

Last edited:
The first instance of this arrives in Toronto- will be interesting seeing if they can salvage what remains of York Memorial Collegiate.

York Memorial C.I. roof collapses as crews continue to battle 6-alarm fire

Principal, former students remember storied history of York Memorial Collegiate Institute

I mean the first post-Notre Dame instance, you're right.

It looks in this case that the interior is mostly a write-off, considering the amount of fire and water damage. I think the exterior can be stabilized, as the interior supoort structure seem to be holding up for now. The mural is likely gone, but I wonder if the stained glass survived in any form.

The question though is if the TDSB has the money and resources available for any sort of reconstruction, or if any sort of reconstruction would involve the private sector (condos). It appears that some of the other wings survived, so it also calls to question the economics of retaining those segments as opposed to starting anew.

4YUCZ3L.png

Last edited:
Too bad TDSB already converted Vaughan Road Academy to be a holding school for Davisville Public School students.

Oh, and York Memo is already designated a heritage structure.

Back