8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

GregWTravels

Member Bio
Reaction score
I have 100+ used books in very good condition - most of them I bought new and have only read once. It seems a complete shame to just through them in the recycling bin.

I'd like to get rid of them with as little effort on my part as possible. I don't really care about making money off them, and would be willing to donate to a good cause.

The books are mostly non-fiction books (biographies and travel essays) and novels. Most are soft cover, with many being trade paperbacks.

Any suggestions?

Obviously Used Books Stores are an option, but do they take anything, and if they don't take it, do I have to cart the books they don't take away? I don't have a car, so I'd have to get one specially for the occasion of taking them to the store.

Most of the places I have seen that takes donations look for children's books or text books, none of which my books are.

I don't want the hassle of selling them online - I really don't want to have to be fielding calls / emails from people, and will be out of town except on weekends for the next 2 months, so would rather my time in Toronto be spent on productive things, like drinking and watching sports in sports bars.

Would Goodwill or Salvation Army take them? Would they pop by to pick them up?

Thanks,
Greg

Another easy way is to put them in a box in the lobby of your building or in front of your house with a sign saying "free books"... someone left a bunch in the laundry room of my building and they've either been used for random reading or eventually snapped up.

Or burn them
hitler.jpg

Sorry, Godwin.

Take them to a BMV book store--I've sold many books at the back counter of the Edward St. location near Yonge & Dundas. They will buy a large variety of books, and as you say they are in decent condition you will get money for most. Whatever rejects they don't want to pay for they will usually take for free, just to get them off your hands. So it's one stop for you, the books will find their way into the hands of interested readers, and you'll get a few bucks to boot.

People in my neighbourhood often leave unwanted books in cardboard boxes at the sidewalk for anyone who wants them to take. It seems to work.

I just took about 10 books the the BMV next to World's Biggest the other day, and the proprietor gave me $16 for 8 of them. The two he didn't want he agreed to still accept and leave in the outside bin for someone to take.

Terry, the guy who manages the BMV up at Eglinton, does the same thing. They have a great selection of recently published books, if you're buying.

Back