Votes: 4 6.7%
  • Nothing

Votes: 50 83.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Second_in_pie

Member Bio
Reaction score
To go along with the global warming thread that's up, here's a poll as to what you think about 2012.

As a little background information, December 21, 2012 is the calculated end of the final cycle in the Mayan Calender. Contrary to popular belief, this is not the end of the calender, but just the beginning of a new era in the calender (it goes from a 一 to a 二.) The Mayans were an incredibly advanced civilization for their time and location, and had a very accurate calender. There is also a belief that the Maya predicted the end of their own civilization, which was predicted to be the return of their god, Quetzalcoatl. Incidentally, this date is the exact date that Hernán Cortés came to the Aztec capital and ended up murdering and enslaving the Aztec race.
So this has caused people to think that December 21, 2012 will harbour the end of human civilization.

I myself don't think this to be the case. There's not really any scientific evidence to back it up, and Global Warming won't do anything significant by then. But I'm somehow convinced that something will happen. A new cycle. Incidentally, this year coincides with my graduation year, so I'm not saying anything about my year or generation, but I'm not ruling it out. I believe that December 21, 2012 will either be the dawn of a new era of humanity, or the beginning of a change. I've wondered if this has anything to do with the fact that Kyoto expires on the 31st, but I'm confident something of importance will happen.

Now, your opinions on this. Remember to share after you poll

EDIT: $#%@ It doesn't mean anything that this poll is 10 minutes short of exactly 1111 days from 12/21/2012, does it?

Last edited:
I voted nothing.

Although it's easy to see the gap between rich and poor nations widening, the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq continuing, the US still having a system that does anything but resemble a democracy... and so forth. In other words, nothing new.

i also voted nothing but from what ive heard earth is supposed to placed in the center of the galaxy on that date and some scientists belive that this will cause a shift in our magnetic poles, causing the tectonic plates to move, causing widespread earthquakes/tsunami's/volcanic eruptions...ect. I Dont know if this is true or not but they also said that if the poles move slow minor damage will be caused but if a quick process happens there will be major damage.

people who amassed large amounts of debt in belief that they would never have to pay it back will be very disappointed. months afterwards, president palin will issue the largest bailout in US history called the believer bailout for the failed rapture. all atheists and agnostics will be round up and put into camps because their collective disbelief prevented the rapture from happening. society will countdown to the next available doomsday, most likely december 12 2021 because they found out nostradamus reversed his twenty ones with twelves while high on ergot infested rye.

i also voted nothing but from what ive heard earth is supposed to placed in the center of the galaxy on that date and some scientists belive that this will cause a shift in our magnetic poles, causing the tectonic plates to move, causing widespread earthquakes/tsunami's/volcanic eruptions...ect. I Dont know if this is true or not but they also said that if the poles move slow minor damage will be caused but if a quick process happens there will be major damage.

if the planet earth were to travel at the speed of light, it would take around 25 thousand years to reach the center of the galaxy from where it is now. also, the earth can't travel at the speed of light.

what you are really referring to the the alignment between the sun, the earth & the center of the galaxy. nothing special happens every december 21st of every year when this happens, i don't expect anything to be different in 2012.

Last edited:
I voted nothing, but more accurately, I don't believe anything remotely related to the Mayan calendar will happen. It's all superstitious nonsense trumped up to sell crazy to gullible people. Shame, too. The world has some real problems to worry about.

same as Y2K , stock market will go up , investors will make $$$, then 2013 the bubble will burst , the media will over blow the whole "2012" thing , to get people to tons of crap they don't need to boost the economy , while wallstreet high rollers makes a fortune ,

hahahahaha...

or maybe all Mayans will cross the south border from Mexico to USA all at the sametime on December 21 in the year 2012 , oh crap the border guards are gonna be in trouble :eek: , they better hire some extra staff

Oh yeah, I forgot that part.

Apparently that date is also the date in which Earth lines up on the Galactic axis with the sun. I'm not quite sure what that means, but I doubt an imaginary line through the galaxy could cause us much harm.

There is also a belief that the Maya predicted the end of their own civilization, which was predicted to be the return of their god, Quetzalcoatl. Incidentally, this date is the exact date that Hernán Cortés came to the Aztec capital and ended up murdering and enslaving the Aztec race.

So basically this means nothing?

They predicted something that didn't happen. Congrats to them.

As for the question - the answer is obviously nothing.

That's until the post-super earthquake tsunami laden with ultra pig-flu virus smashes into the pharmaceutical company that developed the cure. The global population, already blinded by massive doses of galactic radiation, will die by the millions as they drive to common-cold inoculation centres dotted around cities already shattered by a Mayan-predicted meteor storm.

Coming to a theatre near you!

I voted nothing. but if we're lucky there might be a "A change in human consciousness or society" Maybe a revolution? which would involve restoring democrazy!!! :eek: something we haven't had in awhile..

Back