News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

And Ford will deploy that network to help O'Toole. The Liberals really need to deliver for the GTA suburbs. Or they are toast. Nobody should underestimate the CPC.

Agreed.............though I would watch for age of voter being a live concern.

The Conservatives weak spot is voters under 45.

A lousy Liberal political performance doesn't drive many voters to the aforementioned party; but it does drive a few to the Greens/NDP and sees several stay home.

You need to deliver one one or two passion projects for younger, and base-Liberals; then run a smart campaign.

In the course of doing so you need to be mindful of that suburban vote.

I think the Libs need to deliver on some 'left-leaning' items; the deficit is blown out of the water, and taxes will be going up to cover that off.

So there's no ground to be gained from Team Blue for the Libs on that file.

Its their left-flank that's wide open.

Childcare could be a big winner. Pharmacare would play well (and I strongly support it); but, it doesn't affect as many swing voters as quickly.

Something to boost incomes/quality of life for entry-level and gig workers.

Also something meaningful on the Green side. Not electric car subsidies or the like which are widely perceived (and rightly so) as a sop to upper-middle and high income voters.

Free Trade is not intrinsically bad, by any means.

Though, it has very clearly played a central role in the relative de-industrialization of Canada and has resulted in stagnant or lower wages for many, particularly those lacking a college education.

Its merely that its a tired, also-ran thing to put in a platform at this point.

Except, the fact he proposed to do so with a focus only on Anglo, majority-white countries, to the exclusion of all others..............something that doesn't stand to benefit Canada materially either............when you look at the raw numbers,
but something which superficially seems to exclude non-whites/non-anglos..........

Really, just no upside either as real policy or in respect of public perception.
Those countries are like canada though rather then being some white power thing...

i would imagine even minorities in canada rather have us be close with those countries then with China.

Those countries are like canada though rather then being some white power thing...

i would imagine even minorities in canada rather have us be close with those countries then with China.

I didn't suggest running on a deal w/China would be better, did I?

I agree that lots of young people do tend to vote conservative. Many suburbanites simply take after their parents at the end of the day. That young people are more liberal may be somewhat true but it's still hugely overstated.

I agree that lots of young people do tend to vote conservative. Many suburbanites simply take after their parents at the end of the day. That young people are more liberal may be somewhat true but it's still hugely overstated.
These people are economic conservative but not social conservative.

Pharmacare would play well (and I strongly support it); but, it doesn't affect as many swing voters as quickly.

At some point Pharmacare is going to get more traction outside of the traditional left when the now adult children of those suburbanites see the prescription drug bills come in for the now elderly parents they have to help care for. We're long past their gradparents days where they might have got lucky with some pension plan with extended health benefits that could help out, or grandpa just conveniently had a heart attack at 66.

At some point Pharmacare is going to get more traction outside of the traditional left when the now adult children of those suburbanites see the prescription drug bills come in for the now elderly parents they have to help care for. We're long past their gradparents days where they might have got lucky with some pension plan with extended health benefits that could help out, or grandpa just conveniently had a heart attack at 66.

Having been through the process of aging parents with failing health...........I'm not so sure.

In Ontario, the seniors drug plan, through gov't is pretty comprehensive.

It covers over 4,000 drugs, I never encountered one it didn't.

The co-pays were something like $4 per drug, once per month, so about $20, or $240 per year.

There is/was also a once per year deductible of $100

Those sums do pose an issue for some seniors and their families, but not most.

The challenge where coverage is absent is really working-age people, not on social assistance, who lack insurance.

There, any drug one is on perpetually, or a one-off expensive drug can be much more problematic.

But fewer people encounter the issue.

The main time you hear about it are those that can't afford a hyper-expensive drug, often not covered by either private or public plans, typically life-saving but for a relatively rare condition, so perhaps, $50,000 or more for one course of the drug.

But the greater impact is women who can't afford contraception, or those in their 50's who don't take their heart-attack prevention blood pressure drug or the like.

I think the problem for the Conservatives is more internal than external. A Conservative leader has to wage war with internal factions and there are unresolved issues in terms of environmental policy, immigration policy, foreign policy etc.

Much is made of identity politics and regionalism but I disagree with the political pundit hard cap thesis where the Conservatives are locked into 30-40 percent of the vote. The country’s suburban ridings are where elections are won. These increasingly ethno-suburbs are totally up for grabs by all parties.

I believe that the reason Leslyn Lewis didn't become the leader of the Conservatives is that many party members are skeptical of a female person of colour leading them.

I really like to see her be the leader of the Conservative Party. At least she beat Derek Sloan.

What I found immediately off-puting was the celebration. No masks, hugs, closed space, crowded space, and close contact. Way to set an example... I have a really hard time believing the CPC would handle this pandemic well at all.

I believe that the reason Leslyn Lewis didn't become the leader of the Conservatives is that many party members are skeptical of a female person of colour leading them.

I really like to see her be the leader of the Conservative Party. At least she beat Derek Sloan.
I wouldn't. From wikipedia:

"Lewis' platform was socially conservative.[12] She opposes the Canadian government's proposed ban on conversion therapy, citing the importance of parental autonomy[13] and stated that she personally believes that marriage should be between a man and a woman, but would not roll back existing legislation allowing equal marriage in Canada. She has stated that she would like to make marijuana access more restrictive and that she thinks reactions to climate change are overblown.[14] She has publicly described herself as "pro-life, no hidden agenda" and as leader would have the Conservative Party move to ban sex-selective abortion and coerced abortion, increase government funding for crisis pregnancy centres (which counsel women against abortion), and she would end foreign aid funding for abortion.[15] Her candidacy has been endorsed by pro-life advocacy groups including the Campaign Life Coalition.[13]

She opposed carbon taxes and supports promoting green technology as an alternative policy."

I wouldn't. From wikipedia:

"Lewis' platform was socially conservative.[12] She opposes the Canadian government's proposed ban on conversion therapy, citing the importance of parental autonomy[13] and stated that she personally believes that marriage should be between a man and a woman, but would not roll back existing legislation allowing equal marriage in Canada. She has stated that she would like to make marijuana access more restrictive and that she thinks reactions to climate change are overblown.[14] She has publicly described herself as "pro-life, no hidden agenda" and as leader would have the Conservative Party move to ban sex-selective abortion and coerced abortion, increase government funding for crisis pregnancy centres (which counsel women against abortion), and she would end foreign aid funding for abortion.[15] Her candidacy has been endorsed by pro-life advocacy groups including the Campaign Life Coalition.[13]

She opposed carbon taxes and supports promoting green technology as an alternative policy."
Thanks for the heads-up.

I retract my support.

She is much more right-wing than I would have thought.

Back