8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

M5Vgirl

Member Bio
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good website where I can get high res images of Toronto from back in the day? Preferrably black & white photos as I think it'll be really cool to print them out and hang them in my loft.

Can anyone recommend a good website where I can get high res images of Toronto from back in the day? Preferrably black & white photos as I think it'll be really cool to print them out and hang them in my loft.

The Toronto Archives, Ontario Archives and Library and Archives Canada all have a nice selection online, but if you want to have something to hang in your loft, I would recommend actually ordering a print from one of these sources, rather than simply downloading it off the website. The images on the Toronto Archives site have a much higher resolution than the above-mentioned sources, but even then, I'd order directly from one of these archives to get better quality prints (esp. if you are looking for larger prints). The difference in quality is significant, and it's relatively inexpensive (although, obviously, it's cheaper just to right click your mouse and download a lower resolution version of the image).

The galleries of historic Toronto images at Wikimedia Commons have images from all of the above-noted archives sorted by decade and topic. The archives themselves have larger selection sonline, searchable through keyword search.

What a radical idea. Most Torontonians I know seem content to hang old photos of New York City or Paris on their condo walls.

Tell me about. I make a good chunk of my income selling photos of Toronto and I sell more around the world than I do in Toronto. Go figure.

Back