News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is primarily a case where the ruling class was seen as politically and economically out-of touch with the "common people"- expect to see more of this in Ontario, France, etc. if the leaders don't make note and change course.

IMG_0890.JPG

https://twitter.com/james_j_gordon/status/796196374509486080

Attachments

• IMG_0890.JPG
    IMG_0890.JPG
    62.7 KB · Views: 400
This is primarily a case where the ruling class was seen as politically and economically out-of touch with the "common people"- expect to see more of this in Ontario, France, etc. if the leaders don't make note and change course.

I think this is on point.

Its worth noting that this result does not suggest a typical lurch right-ward. Several states legalized marijuana, medically and/or recreationally. Two states passed new gun control measures.

More to the point, 4 states passed significant minimum wage increases, while 3 more passed paid sick leave into law.

In the case of the above the numbers would have been higher but for several governors heading off the ballot questions by adopting measures prophylactically.

I think this is really about populism, its both an economic reaction (un/underemployment, wage stagnation/decline etc.) as well as one balking at a large volume of social change
perceived to be 'forced' upon folks.

There is no clamouring on the right or the left for new trade agreements. There is a deep suspicion among many that government does not represent the interests it claims to.

None of that is any excuse for supporting someone who has publicly made comments that could charitably be called some mixture of offensive, obnoxious and untrue.

Rather, its an observation that people may be open to supporting anything unpopular with 'elites' if the system is doing a poor job of change-management and mitigating its effects for those
on the wrong side of history.

For those who simply opposed diversity, there is no remedy, except time. As new and more tolerant generations ascend; and as older folks, in small numbers, get used to change.

However, there are wide range of tools to address economic insecurity.

Moves than insure part-timers are treated more fairly in terms of minimum hours, or predictable schedules etc. Increases to the minimum wage, or moves to ensure whether via gov't or the private sector than everyone, or as close as possible have access to dental/drug benefits.

There is also a need to address a move towards surplus labour w/automation.

It may not yet mean a reduced work week, but perhaps tighter OT rules, or an extra weeks' paid vacation.

Such moves can redistribute some hours, and reduce anxieties.

The situation in the U.S. has been much more acute in this regard, than it has here.

But pols here, must be mindful not to allow the same to occur.

For those who simply opposed diversity, there is no remedy, except time. As new and more tolerant generations ascend; and as older folks, in small numbers, get used to change.

DT took the vote of the 18-29 cohort - political values/loyalty can very well change, but don't count on it (besides, the progressive millennial is a stereotype - just look at the 4chan/gamergate/Merica! crowd)

AoD

The silver lining is that if Canada acts quickly between between now and the outrage fading out, we can secure some good people looking to leave the US.

(Vancouver might replace LA as a celebrity hotspot)

Last edited:
In 2015, 62.1% of Canadians voted in the general election. In 2012, 53.6% of Americans voted in their election.

From link.

Estimates are that in 2016, 55.6% of Americans may have voted. See link.

Hillary Clinton actually narrowly won the popular vote. But Trump had a path to victory by winning in the rust belt states of Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michigan and Wisconsin, while Hillary just piled up "wasted votes" in California and New York.

I don't get the opposition to removing people who snuck into or overstayed their permission to stay in the USA. If I travel to Switzerland, for example, and I overstay the allowed 6 months, why is the Swiss gov't morally obliged to let me stay?

I think this is really about populism, its both an economic reaction (un/underemployment, wage stagnation/decline etc.) as well as one balking at a large volume of social change perceived to be 'forced' upon folks.

There is no clamouring on the right or the left for new trade agreements. There is a deep suspicion among many that government does not represent the interests it claims to.

None of that is any excuse for supporting someone who has publicly made comments that could charitably be called some mixture of offensive, obnoxious and untrue.

Rather, its an observation that people may be open to supporting anything unpopular with 'elites' if the system is doing a poor job of change-management and mitigating its effects for those on the wrong side of history.

Well said. It's amazing to see some of the parallels between Ford Nation and the Trump tide.

The silver lining is that if Canada acts quickly between between now and the outrage fading out, we can secure some good people looking to leave the US.

(Vancouver might replace LA as a celebrity hotspot)
Silver lining is that if Canada is smart, we can cancel the Carbon Tax and not handcuff ourselves with our biggest trading partner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back