News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Considering that only about 50% of eligible voters voted, I have to wonder if many of those now protesting didn't bother to cast a ballot. I suspect a lot of folks thought Clinton had it in the bag and thus delegated their responsibility to others.

AB: I agree with you...There was a percentage of some Democrats that did not vote
and that gave supporters of Trump an edge that would prevail in the US Electoral College...
She took battleground states such as Michigan and Wisconsin for granted and it cost her...

Everyone: I was as surprised as anyone seeing Donald Trump elected US President. Clinton
won the total popular vote by a couple of hundred thousand - and in this case the Electoral College is what really did count...

The Republicans will control all three: The Executive and Legislative Branches (The US House
and Senate. The Senate is close - there is a 52-48 Republican majority for 2017-2018 at least)

Even though there has been calls for unity following this divisive Election there are protests in
major cities against President-Elect Trump and it looks like Trump's properties in New York and Chicago are going to become security nightmares for both cities.
With the oncoming holiday season there is the possibility of traffic gridlock in Midtown
Manhattan in and around Trump Tower - Rockefeller Center and the famous Christmas Tree is just a few blocks away - with security closures and restrictions for anyone that goes into that vicinity may it be in a vehicle or pedestrians.

With Donald Trump being elected the US President there are significant problems that may develop such as this:
CALEXIT is a referendum scheduled to be voted on in the Spring of 2019 for California to
leave the United States - see: http://www.yescalifornia.org The argument for succession is a very interesting read...

To me this is similar to Quebec seceding from Canada primarily around the subject of language
but what makes California different is that they alone have one of the stronger economies and GDP that rivals European countries like France in size and scope - something Quebec does not
have. California could well survive as an independent country if this were to happen.
Their "bear" state flag does read "CALIFORNIA REPUBLIC"...

There could be a replacement US state - The District of Columbia approved a statehood referendum:
www.statehoodyes.com which would create the State of New Columbia to replace D. C.
I do not see this happening under US Republican rule - Washington, DC is more then half black and
has a large Democratic majority. Hillary Clinton won DC overwhelmingly in the 2016 Election.

I for one hope that Canada-US relations stay strong.
It will be interesting to see how Justin Trudeau and Donald Trump get along on the
many important issues affecting both of our countries.

It will also be interesting to see just how many US citizens emigrate to Canada after this election.
Places like Cape Breton Island - which I notice has reached out to those disenchanted in the US
may well see marked increases in population even though I feel that Ontario would gain the most.

As Bob Dylan wrote "The times they are a changing" and for North America these will be very
interesting times for us all...

LI MIKE

Last edited:
With Donald Trump being elected the US President there are significant problems that may develop such as this:
CALEXIT is a referendum scheduled to be voted on in the Spring of 2019 for the State of California to secede from
the United States - see: www.yesCalifornia.org The argument for succession is a very interesting read...

To me this is similar to Quebec wishes to secede from Canada primarily around the subject of language but what
makes California different is that they alone have one of the stronger economies and GDP that rivals European
countries like France in size and scope - something that Quebec just does not have. California could well survive
as an independent country if this were to happen. Their state flag reads "CALIFORNIA REPUBLIC" with a bear.
LI MIKE

Will never happen. This is just the post-election hysterics you see all the time, and will die down over time.

California is politically split along a coastal axis and is even less self-reliant than Quebec especially in regards with water (which the South needs large imports of). On top of that, I doubt California has that same cultural independence as Quebec which would provide a linguistic/ethnic/cultural thrust to the whole movement.

If something indeed happens, I would not be surprised if Northern California splits off.

And for those who didn't get the memo: groping is funny again.

"Don't grab her, for God's sake." Farage tells Trump when meeting the British Prime Minister.

a3R4Mobr_normal.jpg
Arlene Dickinson@ArleneDickinson
7 mins ago
Media and politicians joking about sexual assault.

The Guardian@guardian
Nigel Farage: 'I'll tell Donald Trump not to touch Theresa May' – audio https://t.co/bwDOUhOfiV

Last edited:
Good of Trudeau to be diplomatic.

http://www.npr.org/2016/11/09/501451368/here-is-what-donald-trump-wants-to-do-in-his-first-100-days

Mitch McConnell already told Trump that term limits won't be considered.

That's pretty terrifying. Trump and the other Republicans want to scrap ObamaCare and replace it with "something terrific" as Trump says. Voters don't know what they are getting but it's going to be terrific cuz Trump says so!

Sad time for planet earth. Climate change is dead. The house and Senate are full of climate deniers and Trump believes global warming was a hoax created by the Chinese.

Last edited:
it seems pretty simple to me.....Hilary Clinton lost this election because a lot (a very lot) of people who told the pollsters that they were going to vote for her.....simply stayed home and did not vote at all.

She lost the election to a guy who got less votes than Mitt Romney did and less votes than John McCain did...the last two Republican "losers" actually got more votes than this quasi-Republican winner......he was there for the beating if her much talked about "ground game" and "political machine" had actually performed and inspired people to vote.....instead we get a lot of rhetoric about voter breakdown by race/gender/age.....she just had to make people understand that answering the phone and telling someone you supported Clinton was not as important as actually going out and doing it. :)

Understanding why Hillary lost:

https://www.propublica.org/article/revenge-of-the-forgotten-class
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/comment...ness-of-the-press-presidential-election-2016/
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...orters-different-americas-20161110-story.html

"By this year, many liberals had gotten so fed up with hearing about these woebegone voters and all their political needs that they were openly declaring them a lost cause, motivated more by racial issues than economic anxiety, and declaring that the expanding Democratic coalition of racial and ethnic minorities and college-educated white voters obviated the need to cater to the white working class."

But this assessment suffered from a fatal overgeneralization. The “white working class” was a hugely broad category — as pollsters defined it, any white voter without a four-year college degree, roughly one-third of the electorate.
[...]
For another thing, cause for resentment and letdown had grown in many of those Rust Belt communities where Obama had held his own — they might be inching their way back from the Great Recession, but the progress was awfully slow, and they were lagging ever further behind booming coastal cities like New York, San Francisco and Washington, where the income gap compared with the rest of the country had grown far larger.

But there was yet another woman voting for the first time in her life, at age 55, for Trump. “I didn’t have much interest in politics. But the older you get you realize more and more how important it is,” said Kelly Waldemire, who works in a local plastic-molding plant. “When it got to the point where the country is going in the wrong direction, I thought it was time.”

Meanwhile in Ontario...

http://tvo.org/article/current-affa...umps-win-puts-everything-in-a-different-light
http://globalnews.ca/news/3050654/g...wynne-ontario-liberals-in-2018-election-poll/

I see massive parallels with Ontario- a people fretting over their livelihoods in the stagnating industrial and agricultural hinterlands while parts of Toronto boom in their own little bubbles.

A large majority of employment growth in Ontario is part-time work- which is precarious- and ultimately, people don't care about racial or social justice if they're worrying about putting food on the table or keeping the lights on.

If Wynne continues to ignore the core issues at play (like electricity) while focusing on boutique activism, expect the Conservatives to be in control of Queens Park in 2018.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back