News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

It sure helped us out when they shot themselves in the foot with Bill 101. The sad thing is that some of these PQ types would happily cannibalize their work force of anyone who's first language isn't French, just like they did to their economy in the 1970s. I was happy to hear Thornhill roll out the welcome mat for those that would be displaced by this insane legislation.

Wasn't part of the reason BMO moved to Toronto because of this PQ nonsense?

Yes, and RBC moved their operating headquarters here for the same reason, though they still maintain their (severely diminished) corporate HQ in MTL.

Yes. I would like to see the GTA catch up to Dallas, the Bay Area and Chicago size wise

I am assuming you are talking about metropolitan area populations, because for City population we have Chicago, Dallas and each individual city in the Bay Area beat (San Francisco, Oakland and San Jose).

Dallas?
Bay Area?

What are you smoking Den? Those cities are a fraction the size of GTA.

The Bay Area isn't a city and denfromoakvillemilton never implied it was. What are you smoking?

*edit

And for the record, all three of the metro areas he listed exceed the GTA in population.

I am assuming you are talking about metropolitan area populations, because for City population we have Chicago, Dallas and each individual city in the Bay Area beat (San Francisco, Oakland and San Jose).

Yes. the metropolitan.

I really want draw some french Canadians here as well.
Dallas?
Bay Area?

What are you smoking Den? Those cities are a fraction the size of GTA.

Sorry, I meant metropolitan areas. Not city propers.

Bill 101 also helped with Toronto's ascendancy as Canada's economic capital and most populous city.

Wasn't part of the reason BMO moved to Toronto because of this PQ nonsense?

Yes, and RBC moved their operating headquarters here for the same reason, though they still maintain their (severely diminished) corporate HQ in MTL.

We often forget that until Bill 101 Sun Life was headquartered in Montreal (their building there is quite spectacular) but as an employer of mainly anglophone Montrealers they were one of the first major companies to look west to Toronto......the corner of King and University was transformed by their decision and Sun Life was a bit of a lightening rod for the nationalists in Quebec.

I don't think it will do anything to raise Toronto's economic success or lower Montreal's. The immigrant groups that are being targeted don't exactly carry the same sway as the wealthy Anglo business owners of the 1970s.

I don't think it will do anything to raise Toronto's economic success or lower Montreal's. The immigrant groups that are being targeted don't exactly carry the same sway as the wealthy Anglo business owners of the 1970s.

I agree. If there is an exodus from Quebec this will not be like the 1970's when a large segment of the influential Anglo population fled to Toronto bringing business headquarters and jobs with them. If there is an exodus from Quebec it will be by members of the strict Islamic communities where women are forced to wear niqabs and burkas. Many if not most in these communities came to Canada as refugees. If there is a massive exodus of these people from Quebec to Ontario I don't see any benefit for Toronto - just the opposite. Toronto is already straining under the burden of providing free social services to various refugee groups that settle in Toronto by the 10,000's each year!

Last edited:
Yes. the metropolitan.

I really want draw some french Canadians here as well.

Sorry, I meant metropolitan areas. Not city propers.

Even then Toronto metro area is probably larger than Chicago. Remember that you can't directly compare american and Canadian census data. The Americans are much more liberal about what qualifies as being part of a metro area.

I agree. If there is an exodus from Quebec this will not be like the 1970's when a large segment of the influential Anglo population fled to Toronto bringing business headquarters and jobs with them. If there is an exodus from Quebec it will be by members of the strict Islamic communities where women are forced to wear niqabs and burkas. Many if not most in these communities came to Canada as refugees. If there is a massive exodus of these people from Quebec to Ontario I don't see any benefit for Toronto - just the opposite. Toronto is already straining under the burden of providing free social services to various refugee groups that settle in Toronto by the 10,000's each year!

There really aren't that many women in Quebec who wear niqabs or burkas (I believe they number in the low double digits). The media there have really exaggerated how large that segment of the population is, selling horror stories to folks outside of Montreal about how terrible the city is. Besides, the Charter only targets government employees, and I doubt the stereotypically oppressed sort of Muslim woman falls in that category.

I don't think we'll see a mass exodus from Quebec. At most, I think some doctors/nurses/teachers who already have family here might relocate to Toronto or Ottawa. Others outside of the religious groups targeted may indeed come, but that will be because the PQ is playing identity politics instead of tackling the province's economic problems.

And remember, the Charter hasn't passed yet. It's losing popular support and the PQ needs an opposition party to hop on board to pass the bill.

Back