8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

bobbob911

Member Bio
Reaction score
I want to build a partition wall in my condo. I would prefer to use wood studs rather than flimsy metal studs. Does anyone know is there is some kind of fire code forbidding the use of wood studs in condo buildings in Toronto?

Thanks!

just my opinion, take it with a grain of salt , but !@#$% it just use wood , insulate it , then dry wall it , paint it, no one will ever know , so much wood already to burn in case of a fire in your condo like wood flooring , furniture , kitchen cabinet , dining table ,chairs , kitchen cutting board , bed frame, chops sticks lol... 🤣

I hate those metal stud walls , so weak and never insulated because builders are so cheap , i think if you kicked it hard enough u could probably make a hole
i personally like using wood , so much easier to work with.

post some photos of your project and plans and how things go with a condo reno
I'm curious , because I've seen 1 bedroom condo for sale near a college/university, that could easily be converted to 2 bedroom unit for student rental

Last edited:
just my opinion, take it with a grain of salt , but !@#$% it just use wood , insulate it , then dry wall it , paint it, no one will ever know , so much wood already to burn in case of a fire in your condo like wood flooring , furniture , kitchen cabinet , dining table ,chairs , kitchen cutting board , bed frame, chops sticks lol... 🤣

I hate those metal stud walls , so weak and never insulated because builders are so cheap , i think if you kicked it hard enough u could probably make a hole
i personally like using wood , so much easier to work with.

post some photos of your project and plans and how things go with a condo reno
I'm curious , because I've seen 1 bedroom condo for sale near a college/university, that could easily be converted to 2 bedroom unit for student rental
I doubt that wood studs are forbidden by the fire code provided they are 'protected' by drywall etc. but many condos will check for that kind of thing.

On a condo reno to create a second (or 3rd) bedroom you have more to think about than wooden studs. Most condo corporations will not permit rooms to be divided and most have restrictions that mean that Units can only be used as 'single family dwellings" . In addition, most have minimum lease periods. Caveat emptor!

In my case I am putting back walls that were originally there - the previous owner converted a 2br into a large 1br and I am just returning it to the original plans. (Of course with condo board approval). But I’d prefer not to ask them about the wood vs metal studs until I understand what code allows.

In my case I am putting back walls that were originally there - the previous owner converted a 2br into a large 1br and I am just returning it to the original plans. (Of course with condo board approval). But I’d prefer not to ask them about the wood vs metal studs until I understand what code allows.
In our building we have certainly had owners ADD wooden studs as `twins` with existing metal ones to better brace them for new bathroom or kitchen tiles etc but do not think anyone has replaced metal with wood.

That’s a good point, one of these partition walls will actually be used to hang more upper kitchen cabinets on the other side, so the wood is certainly a better structure for that.

I'm not familiar with any building code rules that might be specific to condos (or specific to a particular municipality) but there is no general prohibition about using wood vs. steel. The fire protection is in the cladding. Of course, you have to consider impacts to HVAC, electric and plumbing. You also have to consider how you plan to anchor the wall into the existing structure.

I doubt that wood studs are forbidden by the fire code provided they are 'protected' by drywall etc. but many condos will check for that kind of thing.

On a condo reno to create a second (or 3rd) bedroom you have more to think about than wooden studs. Most condo corporations will not permit rooms to be divided and most have restrictions that mean that Units can only be used as 'single family dwellings" . In addition, most have minimum lease periods. Caveat emptor!

i didn't mean converting a 1 bedroom unit in 2 separate dweillings , i meant converting into a regular 2 Bedroom 1 bath apartment , the 1 bedroom unit has an over sized living & dining room wasted space , better just convert to a 2 bedroom unit and get more rental income

i didn't mean converting a 1 bedroom unit in 2 separate dweillings , i meant converting into a regular 2 Bedroom 1 bath apartment , the 1 bedroom unit has an over sized living & dining room wasted space , better just convert to a 2 bedroom unit and get more rental income
I understood you correctly, most condo corporations have very strict criteria about creating additional 'sleeping rooms' and there are also City regulations that need to be considered. The Condo Board may want to attract owners who will appreciate an "oversized living and dining room' and may not want to attract owners/renters who prefer more bedrooms. Carving out another bedroom in a condo is NOT simple!

I don’t deal with high rise buildings but various materials have to conform to flame spread and flame development ratings that are dependent on the building classification. These could be limiting factors in your choice of a code compliant solution.

While steel studs are annoying in many ways they have advantages as well. It’s a lot easier to transport a bundle of steel studs. You’d probably be better off using steel anyway in a condo because they’re lighter, easier to transport and less messy to work with (minus the blood you spill from cutting yourself the first time you work with them)

One point I forgot to mention was a potential impact of the Ontario Building Code minimum requirements for room sizes. Local (Toronto) variances may exist as well. This will be in spite of any Board support - they are not the Code enforcers.

Back