8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Amare

Member Bio
Reaction score
The current World Trade offices in Toronto is looking to expand in order to create a landmark complex that will attract prestigious companies and agencies.

A few notes of interest are (as of September 20, 2017):

-There is no firm location in mind or design yet, but possible locations include: the waterfront, Metro Toronto Convention Centre, and East Harbour
-An official request for expressions of interest from developers and landowners has been put out
-The current WTO office space at First Canadian Place has a lease signed through 2024

Here is some additional details on this potential development:
https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/ne...36333941/?ref=http://www.theglobeandmail.com&

The timing is good actually. 3 years for approvals and 3 years of construction - should meet their 2024 deadline if they get moving.

Wasn't the Harbour Castle convention centre once meant to presage a "World Trade Centre"? (Explains the naming of the condos next door)

East harbour location would be the ideal place with the future transit hub to be located there. Plenty of room to build the new World Trade Center. Offering 12 to 15 million square feet of office in that location!

East harbour location would be the ideal place with the future transit hub to be located there. Plenty of room to build the new World Trade Center. Offering 12 to 15 million square feet of office in that location!
Don't know about that, East Harbour is a vision now and probably for the next 10 years...my guess is that this will be built downtown where all the action exists
...my prediction is at the corner of Yonge + Front (1 Front west) as part of the Dominion Public Bldg. re-development

Last edited:
Pffft .This puny office is going to build a shiny new skyline changer. I'll believe it when I see it. They're marketers and you guys have New York City too much on your mind.

Pffft .This puny office is going to build a shiny new skyline changer. I'll believe it when I see it. They're marketers and you guys have New York City too much on your mind.

Oh please maestro, of course were no New York and wont build like New York, but we are considered one of the top 10 cities for finance in the world, and why not have these so called marketers showcase a city that is booming right now

My point was that New York has a very large complex named the "World Trade Centre" and things like that are obviously influencing some of the responses here. The Board of Trade have a couple floors in the low rise podium building above the food court and beside the Cactus Club in First Canadian Place. Anything "a million square feet or more" as proposed in this thread is highly ambitious. How are they supposed to afford it? How do they afford the naming rights for an office complex like Bay Park Centre either?

I'm sorry if I burst your bubble. That's just reality.

Hines' 250,000 square foot Queens Quay Centre is ambitious.

The former New York WTC complex had the backing of the powerful NY Port Authority and was an attempt to modernize New York's downtown core, so it reflects that ambition in some some sense- the majority of WTC complexes around the world are far more modest structures.

I wonder if the World Trade Centre project here will be a partnership for a completely new proposal, or if they'll end up taking one of the current office proposals and rebrand it.

Last edited:
Oh please maestro, of course were no New York and wont build like New York, but we are considered one of the top 10 cities for finance in the world, and why not have these so called marketers showcase a city that is booming right now
Not only that, but when it comes to certain industries like mining and resource extraction, we are global leaders.

This is certainly interesting news to read about this morning, but I too am skeptical. They have no plan, just a statement of intention.

Back