8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Allandale25

Member Bio
Reaction score
From Councillor Layton's email newsletter.

Yellow Creek Geomorphic Systems Master Plan​

The City of Toronto has initiated a study to identify sewer and watermain infrastructure in Yellow Creek that is at risk of erosion from high flows due to storms and snow melt runoff. The study will evaluate and recommend solutions to reduce these erosion risks through an assessment of Yellow Creek’s stream processes (geomorphology).

The geomorphology of a creek examines how natural and human factors have shaped its form and function over time. For example, how erosion can affect the path a creek follows (form) and the aquatic and terrestrial habitats the stream supports (function).

The study will focus on:

• Identifying sewers, watermains and outfalls located within Yellow Creek that are at risk from erosion caused by flows from storms and snow melt runoff;
  • Developing, evaluating and recommending solutions to reduce erosion impacts on sewers and
    watermains, while improving aquatic and terrestrial habitats.
You can read the work notice by clicking here.

For more complete information you can refer to the City website here.

From Councillor Layton's email newsletter.

From the link above:

Note that the City is seeking ongoing photos over time at 2 key locations along the creek.

For those that walk the trail along here, the City would appreciate help in tracking erosion over time.

The locations are identified on the map below, just north of the St. Clair bridge; and in the south, views in both directions from the pedestrian bridge.

1613760677096.png

Photos can be be contributed here: https://toronto.mysocialpinpoint.ca/yellowcreek#/sidebar/tab/about

What I would like to see examined in this study:

Daylighting the buried section of creek where it approaches Mt. Pleasant from the north-west:

1613761065865.png

It may also be possible to create some water storage (wet meadow/wetland here)

Likewise for section of creek immediate east of Mt. Pleasant which is also buried, and some very lightly used greenspace that could repurposed ecologically:

1613761182494.png

While not immediately pertinent to the Geomorphic Study, I would like to see a safety improvements to this park system for pedestrians at Mt Pleasant.

In an ideal world, Mt. Pleasant would be be on a bridge over the valley here, with trail and creek underneath.

That is an expensive re-think, complicated by the presence of Roxborough here.

As such, I'm not advocating for that unlikely ideal.

But we could, at the least, remove this channelized right-turn from Mt. Pleasant to Roxborough.

1613761368548.png

And probably add a traffic light at Roxborough to allow for a safe pedestrian crossing.

I don't think that would be needed if Mt. Pleasant were reduced to one lane each way, with physically separated bike lanes; but it hasn't, so I'd settle for a light, for now.

1613761464364.png

Back