News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

I would disagree, as would many others.

If you meant we should add another art deco skyscraper or two......I'm interested; though I don't know many developers willing to shell out of that.

But elsewise, how about we celebrate what makes each place unique.

I prefer Venice to NYC; and I would be horrified if they installed anything like Times Square there.
For those who like NYC, they may not feel the need to tear out their roads to build canals like Venice.

Let places be what they are; but the best of that.

Toronto is a lakefront, Great Lakes City, with a breathtaking ravine system, relatively recent development and architecture, with very multi-cultural/ethnic vibe that exudes a flavour all its own.

Yes but we're already like a mini New York and it's kind of late to pivot our identity at this point in my mind. If were going to chase NYC, let chase if for real.

Yes but we're already like a mini New York and it's kind of late to pivot our identity at this point in my mind. If were going to chase NYC, let chase if for real.

We really disagree here.

I don't feel like Toronto is a mini-NYC, nor do I wish it to be.

Okay, we can go with Piccadilly Circus, or Dotonbori, or Ximending, or Shibuya Crossing in Tokyo. Take your pick.
Why?

Why not??? It's the envy of almost the whole world. That's why people love it. Being like NYC is a great thing.
So is our CN Tower. We have other things that tourist descend here upon that's not a cheap and cheeze sandwich knock-off from somewhere else. /shrug

Toronto will never be NYC and nor should it strive to be. That which distinguishes Toronto from NYC are some of Toronto's greatest attributes, namely its old neighbourhoods which buttress up against the downtown core, its ravines and its tree canopy to name a few. Why settle for a lesser version of NYC when you can create a great version of Toronto.

Except for the millions it adds in property value and tourism...

I don't believe most people who go to NYC as tourists do so for the express purpose of standing in, or looking at Times Square.

Its rather unremarkable, except to say its crowded and gaudy.

Doubtless, many who are tourists to NYC may stop by the area, either on purpose or incidentally (its right next to Broadway and all the musicals etc, and near many major hotels)

But unto itself, I don't think it brings in any material dollars to the City or the economy.
To put it bluntly, nobody is visiting Toronto for Yonge-Dundas Square. Nobody.

If we want to make this place economically valuable, how about we use it for something unique that will actually draw in tourism. With all the creative people in this city, surely we can do better than a Times Square replica.

To be honest, I'm a little surprised that in a discussion forum filled with Urban enthusiast, more people here don't want to be like NYC. Toronto will always be compared to NYC because of its diversity, soaring skyscrapers and both cities are the financial engines of their countries. If we're going to be this urban paradise, the more like NYC we are the better.
I don't want Toronto to be NYC, I want Toronto to be the best Toronto it can be.

If we want to make this place economically valuable, how about we use it for something unique that will actually draw in tourism. With all the creative people in this city, surely we can do better than a Times Square replica.

But they are visiting Yonge-Dundas Square for selfies and pics. Before the pandemic i would see all kinds of tourists taking selfies and pictures all hours of the day and night. It is one of Toronto's most photographed intersections.

It is a Times Square replica. Complete with similar corporate chain stores and restaurants and the same weirdo's dressed up in costumes or preaching in the street. It's not going anywhere, the area is a money maker. Be like a New Yorker, and avoid the area like the plague.

I think a few factors actually make NYC a decent comparable for Toronto. Our relatively strong public transit versus other North American cities, dense core and the way it never hollowed make the case in my view. That being said, the similarities don't mean we should ape New York. Unfortunately, I don't know what our identity is anymore given we've lost our traditional strengths of livability and affordability. We have none of NYC's strengths and with all the weakness around overpopulation, congestion and sky high property values.

I think a few factors actually make NYC a decent comparable for Toronto. Our relatively strong public transit versus other North American cities, dense core and the way it never hollowed make the case in my view.

Perhaps in some respects, but none that merit inclusion in this thread, specific to YDS

That being said, the similarities don't mean we should ape New York.

Agreed.

Unfortunately, I don't know what our identity is anymore given we've lost our traditional strengths of livability and affordability.

We were talking YDS and perhaps, tangentially, tourism. I don't think tourists ever visited Toronto because of our livability and affordability, and they didn't visit YDS for that either.

We have none of NYC's strengths and with all the weakness around overpopulation, congestion and sky high property values.

That is unusually peculiar statement from you in as much as I don't find it particularly factual, but 'Toronto vs NYC' is simply a separate thread, as is 'Despair Toronto'.

Just my two cents given the discussion was trending toward Toronto vs. Everyone ;)

I don't want Toronto to be NYC, I want Toronto to be the best Toronto it can be.
To put it also bluntly, we don't need TO to be a capitalist mecca (than it already is) to make it valuable. Not everything in life that is viable is for profit. To which makes Dumbass Square here even a bigger misfire, IMO.

The best Toronto can be is emulating NYC as much as possible.

I think a few factors actually make NYC a decent comparable for Toronto. Our relatively strong public transit versus other North American cities, dense core and the way it never hollowed make the case in my view. That being said, the similarities don't mean we should ape New York. Unfortunately, I don't know what our identity is anymore given we've lost our traditional strengths of livability and affordability. We have none of NYC's strengths and with all the weakness around overpopulation, congestion and sky high property values.

I think part of this really depends on what we're judging the city on. If were talking about how livable the city is, that can be quite different then how cool the city is.. NYC is a great place to visit, but may not be a great place to live, particularly if your not a millionaire .

When it comes to pure urbanisim, NYC is a paradise IMO, which is why I love to see Toronto be like NYC. One thing I love about Toronto, is you're not trapped in the craziness. You can get a good taste of urban life when visiting the DT core, but most of us live outside the DT core don't have to deal with busy crowds 24/7. So while I hope our DT core keeps getting packed with high rises, I value residential parts outside DT core.

So it all depends on what were talking about here.

Anyway, I think a central spot with all kinds of flashy billboards and retail on steroids is essential to the vibrancy of a cool city.

Last edited:

Back