News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9.2K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.3K     0 

The protestors aren't even able to fill the size of the square that will be left after the mall expansion.

It's private property, isn't it?

I was thinking... RioCan could include some kind of public space at street level... still a plaza, but covered.

When Yonge street was closed off annually for the street festival a few years back, this open space was useful for pedestrian/crowd overflow. Nowadays the office workers don't seem make use of it; it's sparsely used to my eyes, even on nice days. The evening theatre and restaurant going crowd don't make use of it either.

As far as the argument goes that the City gave up Starrett Avenue to the original developer and that their assigns - in this case RioCan - should be held to it - well, Starrett wasn't much of a street. It was a no exit street with nothing of note on it.

The original swap of publicly owned Starrett for privately owned open space should have been Starrett for publicly owned open space - a park.

Mocking the attempts of people who stand up for 'public' spaces is a real good idea. Now let's all drive home to our Mcmansions and forget this ever happened.

This is hopefully a big improvement. I work near there, and always thought that space was a complete waste. Ugly and unused. Now it might actually have some use... at least if it's done correctly.

Also, I've never really liked the overall design of the existing mall. So, I hope it won't just be a tacked on space, but instead will be well integrated with improvement of the overall flow of the public areas of the building.

I always thought this corner looked kind of ghetto and unfinished. If they make a publicly accessible greenspace on top of the 3-storey mall, I'm totally for it.

Back