Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
York U is moving to put a 2s addition on Vari Hall, increasing the height to 4s.

Project construction targeted to begin Q4 2022, Completion Q2 2024

Renders from the report that begins on p. 71 of the meeting agenda: https://secretariat.info.yorku.ca/files/board-agenda-20210504.pdf?x22968

1623084300622.png

1623084345856.png

I guess after spending all that money on their recent excellent additions to the campus, they're running a bit low on cash so I guess it's time for the cheap additions.

That's the best explanation I could come up for them, this is atrocious.

I guess after spending all that money on their recent excellent additions to the campus, they're running a bit low on cash so I guess it's time for the cheap additions.

That's the best explanation I could come up for them, this is atrocious.

In a different thread, in 'Toronto Issues' I noted that York U is again on a big push to open a medical school.

That, along with a couple projects I listed in the Major Capital Priorities thread will probably eat close to 1B (there's roughly 500M in major projects, no $ assigned yet for the new Med. School, that I can tell) .

Clearly York has other places to spend the $$$, this was not one of them.

In a different thread, in 'Toronto Issues' I noted that York U is again on a big push to open a medical school.

That, along with a couple projects I listed in the Major Capital Priorities thread will probably eat close to 1B (there's roughly 500M in major projects, no $ assigned yet for the new Med. School, that I can tell) .

Clearly York has other places to spend the $$$, this was not one of them.
Well I guess all that helps partially to explain this embarrassment addition.

Absolutely hideous. The only redeeming "feature" is that this portion of Vari Hall is barely visible above ground level.

That little grass area in the renderings above has been a permanent "staging" area for years. It was always covered in construction junk and equipment that I thought might be removed after they completed the new Student Centre, but nope, it's still there.

Anyways, back on topic: this is really sad considering how many positive additions York has had in the past 10 years.

🤮

At least they're being honest about how horrible the cladding will be.
At least it's shadow-box, and not simply back-painted glass spandrel…
Good God, that's appalling...
…but yeah, nevertheless, this is bargain basement. It's hidden away from the central mall I suppose…

York is a big school already and it is of interest that it just seems to keep on growing. A medical school would be a big win for them.

This is the first time I saw this thread and looking at the pictures I was not impressed and was happy to see others also found this an awful looking addition and even better than it's cancelled lol

Back