8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Towered

Member Bio
Reaction score
http://www.blogto.com/arts/2010/11/michael_haydens_arc_en_ciel_might_return_to_yorkdale_station/

Michael Hayden's wonderful light installation, Arc en ciel, which was completed in 1978 but subsequently dismantled in the mid 1990s, may once again grace the roof of Yorkdale Subway Station. I first learned of the potential resurrection of the piece after I published a mournful article about its disappearance late last week. In the comment thread, TTC-expert Steve Munro noted that "at the September TTC meeting, former Chair Howard Moscoe reported that as part of a deal involving the expansion of Yorkdale Mall, the developer will pay for the restoration of "Arc en ciel..."

That's exciting news, to say the least. In search of some concrete details, I contacted TTC Director of Corporate Communications, Brad Ross, who confirmed that the former TTC chair had indeed "made a deputation seeking approval to reinstate the artwork at no cost to the TTC, which was approved."

That approval is the first step in what might be the second coming of the much-loved installation. The second, and arguably more crucial one is securing the requisite funds from the developer, Oxford Properties. Although Ross notes that the TTC does not "have anything in writing yet from the developer confirming a financial commitment," there's room to be cautiously optimistic.

Reached by by phone in California, Hayden revealed that he's extremely enthusiastic about the possible resurrection of what is one of his favourite pieces. "I would love to get a contract signed and get started," he told me. Because the original piece was dismantled on account of the TTC's unwillingness to make what would have been cheap repairs to a number of water damaged transformers (each would have cost around $28 at the time), having a contract that secures the future maintenance of the artwork this time around is crucial for the artist.

It's just such an agreement, he notes, that "is the reason that Sky's the Limit [his iconic light installation at Chicago's O'Hare airport] looks as good as it does today." In addition to a maintenance contract, Hayden would also like to make sure that the piece, should the funding come together, is installed by a Toronto-based company. As the artist no longer resides in Toronto, it's important that those responsible for its upkeep are familiar with the "logic" of the work and how best to care for it.

Resurrecting the piece won't, however, be merely a matter of re-installation or restoration. The artist isn't even sure if the TTC has the original transformers and interfaces that once controlled the lights when trains arrived at the station. And beyond this, it's also been over 30 years since Arc en ciel was built, and there have obviously been many technological advancements since that time that he'd like to take advantage of.

The original work was crafted out of mercury vapor tubes, which were then painted different colours to create the rainbow effect referred to in the title of the piece. But with the advent of LED technology and RGB colour, it's no longer necessary to go through such a labourious process. Not only that, the use of LED lights would allow the artist to display a far wider range of colour in the new version of Arc en ciel.

But, referring to installation photographs of the original, Hayden says that the new version "will look strikingly similar to how it did in 1978."

I really hope this is the case. But more than that I hope that this will, indeed, all come together so that the artist can restore what was once a phenomenal public art installation. My fingers are firmly crossed that all of the participants understand what a great thing this could be for our city.

That was an amazing piece that shouldn't have been neglected. It's great that Michael Hayden will be involved; if there's anyone who can come up with a strong reiteration, it's the original artist.

I think one should be a bit more ambitious in this case - it is important to restore Arc en Ciel - but it should be part of a restoration program for Yorkdale station proper - it has gotten really shabby and it does the art piece of disservice to leave the station as is.

AoD

I agree with Alvin. If you're going to restore one of the station's previous works (and quite a fine one at that, too!), why not do over the entire station?

I think one should be a bit more ambitious in this case - it is important to restore Arc en Ciel - but it should be part of a restoration program for Yorkdale station proper - it has gotten really shabby and it does the art piece of disservice to leave the station as is.

AoD

I agree. This could be a great opportunity to do a reno on the entire station. Very exciting news, thanks for sharing this Towered!

A *sympathetic* reno, of course, i.e. don't try to replace the Univers with the "subway font", etc...

What excellent news! This quite exciting, I would love to see the Arc En Ciel resurrected!

They are going to need to do something significant to make this station accessible. I'm curious how they will pull it off without needing three elevators to get from the station platform to the mall.

They are going to need to do something significant to make this station accessible. I'm curious how they will pull it off without needing three elevators to get from the station platform to the mall.

Perhaps this is a bit too ambitious, but they could try installing movators, like the ones at Pearson Airport's Terminal 1, replacing all those stairs from the mall to the station concourse area.

The problem is they are going to need to completely rethink the station connection to the mall. Currently the path is down a level to get under the tracks, up a level and a half to clear the street, and down half a level to be on the main floor of the mall. There are some pretty steep inclines.

Not nessicarily. They could just ignore the connection to the mall and have the elevator or ramps go to the street level.

That is possible but probably wouldn't be seen as accessible without taking down the non-accessible link to the mall. Actually if they widened the side walk a bit and covered the walk at street level from the station to the mall and installed a gradual ramp up to mall level that might work.

Back