8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Therion

Member Bio
Reaction score
Is it possible to run a service-oriented small business (where people would come to your house) out of property that's zoned Residential (not mixed)? The obvious answer is no, but I'm just wondering if there's special permits or exceptions that apply. It is really hard to find info on this.

It shouldn't be too hard to get an answer to this question. Check with zoning people at the appropriate place (City Hall downtown, or Civic Centre in Etobicoke, North York, or Scarborough)

I would think the general answer would be no. If you just had a one-person home office, as many people do, there would be no problem. But a key factor would probably be that you would have people coming to your house. That makes it a real business ("home occupation" is the language in some zoning bylaws).

If no one finds out about it, you don't need a permit! haha. I highly doubt anyone actively checks this unless you ask them if you need a permit...

If no one finds out about it, you don't need a permit! haha. I highly doubt anyone actively checks this unless you ask them if you need a permit...
I suspect it's dealt with on a complaint basis. If your neighbours are making complaints to the city about parking, line-ups out your door, signs on the house, then it's an issue. If you've only got 2-3 people coming to the door a day, no signs, etc., then no one will care (unless you have the neighbour from hell).

Thanks for the replies... it's a tricky situation, because if you ask and they say no, and you've given them your address, they might check up on you... but if you don't ask and there's a complaint, then the $20k I would invest in my business would go down the drain. I'll probably call them and ask generically.

just call and give specifics.. even about your location..
every house has the potential for different zoning.
they only will act on a complaint basis.. you don't have to worry about them following up down the road... i know this for certain.
if you need to borrow money to start up, the lender will likely ask for complience letters.

O/T, but what are zoning requirements with respect to wood frame construction? How big can you plan a building before you need to switch to a concrete or steel structure?

that's a ontario building code question.. not a zoning question.
and that answer should come from your architect.. not any one here on UT

Back