I suspect it's a temporary treatment until the LRT is built.. but still, just pour a simple concrete sidewalk if that is the case. This is going to have desire path issues from day 1.
LRT won't be using much of this space though. The cross section plate indicated is much wider than it likely will be now that Queen is no longer a truck route. I really hope this is a temporary treatment, but I feel like with Vrancor the sewer is the lower limit
Screenshot_20230728-122459.jpg

Is swearing allowed on this forum?
View attachment 495245

This is reserved land for a future slip lane… into LRT tracks…
Mandated by the City of Hamilton.

Ward 1, where this development is located, already has fifteen slip lanes, btw..

Queen Street North is also on the Hamilton Trucking Route, this particular section allowing trucks with up to 4 axels, per the City’s website:

( https://www.hamilton.ca/home-neighbourhood/getting-around/driving-traffic/truck-route-network )

The City’s poor planning practices is especially obvious along the B-Line LRT route — for example, the surface lot at Bernie Morelli Centre facing the future ‘Scott Park’ LRT Stop.

This is reserved land for a future slip lane… into LRT tracks…
Mandated by the City of Hamilton.

Ward 1, where this development is located, already has fifteen slip lanes, btw..

Queen Street North is also on the Hamilton Trucking Route, this particular section allowing trucks with up to 4 axels, per the City’s website:

( https://www.hamilton.ca/home-neighbourhood/getting-around/driving-traffic/truck-route-network )

The City’s poor planning practices is especially obvious along the B-Line LRT route — for example, the surface lot at Bernie Morelli Centre facing the future ‘Scott Park’ LRT Stop.
There will be no slip lane. Hamilton isn't building anymore slip lanes and is removing all that exist as capital works is completed.

It's up to 4 axles, which is pretty small. They basically need no special turn radius as 4 axle trucks can make faulty small turns. It's not on the full size truck route.

There will be no slip lane. Hamilton isn't building anymore slip lanes and is removing all that exist as capital works is completed.

It's up to 4 axles, which is pretty small. They basically need no special turn radius as 4 axle trucks can make faulty small turns. It's not on the full size truck route.

Thanks, very good to hear as this bldg was designed like this because the City did orig plan a slip lane here.

Does Vrancor own this bit land then? Or the City (or Metrolinx)?

The city will own it so they may be able to upgrade its design as a part of the LRT. It’s likely that reason why it was even approved as sod in the first place - a temporary thing until the LRT starts.

I saw some forms that I don't believe were there a couple weeks ago that make me suspect work may (FINALLY) be re-commencing on the 25fl building after a very long period of mostly inexplicable inactivity.

hampton-inn.jpg

https://bayobserver.ca/vrancor-opens-new-hampton-inn-by-hilton-in-hamilton/

Vrancor opens New Hampton Inn by Hilton in Hamilton

Vrancor Group has just opened the Hampton Inn by Hilton Hamilton, a 12-story hotel, in downtown Hamilton. The hotel is developed and owned by Vrancor Hospitality Corporation, and features 154 guest rooms.

Hampton Inn by Hilton Hamilton is located at 7 Queen Street North, within easy distance of Hamilton’s businesses, university and other attractions.

Vrancor Group has a diverse portfolio of hotels, conference venues, food services, and more. The company has developed a reputation for investing in downtown Hamilton over many years. Vrancor properties have changed Hamilton’s skyline.

The pet-friendly hotel features modern and comfortable guest rooms, and a full complement of value-added amenities including free hot buffet breakfast featuring Hampton’s signature waffles, heated indoor swimming pool, large state-of-the-art 24-hour fitness centre, free Wi-Fi throughout the hotel and other facilities. In rooms we have rooms with kind and queen size beds, 55” flat screen TV with verity of channels and specially Hampton Bedding.

The hotel provides nearly 1,700 square feet of flexible meeting and event space, most offering natural lighting.

Hampton Inn by Hilton Hamilton is part of Hilton Honors®. Hilton Honors members who book directly through preferred Hilton channels have access to benefits, including a flexible payment slider that allows members to choose nearly any combination of Points and money to book a stay and free standard Wi-Fi. Members also can use the Hilton Honors mobile app, where Hilton Honors members can check in, choose their room and access their room using a Digital Key.

Exciting to see a new hotel downtown, even if it is a Vranich special.

A huge miss opportunity by the City & HSR!

They should have moved the Queen Street HSR / B-Line / GO Bus stop to the west side of the intersection, using that wasted land for one of the enhanced bus shelters Metrolinx paid for over a decade ago.

Too bad the City & HSR already used that money to build three enhanced bus shelters in front of their Mount Hope head office instead of along the B-Line as intended 🤦🏻‍♂️

Moving the stop would also reduce the amount of time these buses spend at the red light after letting riders on/off.

lol "wasted land"..

heaven forbid nature is allowed to exist in any form in our city - NO! We must pave EVERY LAST SQUARE INCH and use it for something! XD

I mean I wouldn't call a monoculture of grass 'nature' per se, but some greenery doesn't hurt. It's just the way this greenery was implemented in such a suburban way. This will have lines going through it very soon as people shortcut the corner.

Furthermore it's not like this is useable space. It's got no trees, nor benches for someone to sit and read or anything.

It's unfortunate this is called "nature" when cities like Montreal and even Vancouver or Toronto build beautiful urban parks that blend nature into the city and create lively places humans would actually want to be.
lol "wasted land"..

heaven forbid nature is allowed to exist in any form in our city - NO! We must pave EVERY LAST SQUARE INCH and use it for something! XD

I mean I wouldn't call a monoculture of grass 'nature' per se, but some greenery doesn't hurt. It's just the way this greenery was implemented in such a suburban way. This will have lines going through it very soon as people shortcut the corner.

Furthermore it's not like this is useable space. It's got no trees, nor benches for someone to sit and read or anything.

It's unfortunate this is called "nature" when cities like Montreal and even Vancouver or Toronto build beautiful urban parks that blend nature into the city and create lively places humans would actually want to be.
To be fair here, it's likely sod as it's expected to get ripped up in a couple of years for the LRT. The sod is likely considered a temporary condition until the LRT project rebuilds it with updated landscaping.

Back