News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

urbottawa

Member Bio
Reaction score
331 Cooper st:

1712942706839.png

IMG_0837.jpeg

Apparently there is another wave of conversions coming as the Federal has confirmed that many of it's buildings are actually not going to have workers return and will be sold. Of the timing I am not sure.

I wonder if we are getting better at conversions the more that get done in more cities?

Will they be converted, or just torn down? Esplanade Laurier is going to be a challenge because of the size of its floorplates. A number of the buildings at Confederation Heights, and the Defence Medical Centre have heritage designations, but it remains to be seen whether they can stand up to arguments about the economics and cries of "it's a housing emergency." I predict the federal government will sell or give the buildings away and then wash their hands of the heritage aspect

It will be up to whoever buys the properties. I have trouble understanding how L'Esplanade could be converted. Jackson could get a lightwell, though it's quite old and has gone through a lot, far lower than zoning allows. Feds were looking to demolish it at one point.

The heritage buildings at Confederation Heights could likely be converted fairly easily thanks to their layouts. Same with the Military Hospital.

it will be interesting to see how this all evolves.

Back