News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

hoggytime

Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
I took this shot of Gatineau Tent City (does it actually have a name, formal or casual?) a couple of days ago. I hope this project is working out this winter.

DJI_0356-HDR.jpg

Still can't believe the City cancelled the deal to open up a "block sanitaire" because the building doesn't have doors. Remove the chip board! The door's behind there.

From the Ottawa Citizen:​

Troster: Remember, people who use drugs are also our neighbours

One reason drug use is so visible in downtown Ottawa is because so many live in rooming houses or spend the night in shelters. They live their lives — and their struggles — very much in the public eye.

Author of the article:
Ariel Troster
Published Feb 22, 2024 • Last updated 1 day ago • 4 minute read

Discarded needles and drug paraphernalia in parks
Discarded needles and drug paraphernalia in parks and public places have alarmed many people. Photo by Brendan Miller /Postmedia
This article is written as a follow-up to “Drug use is making Centretown less and less safe,” Feb. 21.

There is a reason I always carry Naloxone. It’s because two years ago, I didn’t, and as I walked my daughter home from school in Centretown, we encountered a man keeled over on the sidewalk, stiff as a board. I called 911 and checked his vitals, while simultaneously trying to reassure my then-nine-year-old daughter and her friends.

Within seconds, a police officer arrived, whipped out a vial of Naloxone and administered it to the fallen man via nose spray. The man immediately jumped to life, suddenly conscious. I have no idea what happened to him after that day, but in that moment, I was relieved to see that he was alive.

Finding an unconscious person was unusual during my walks to and from school with my daughter, but I was getting used to finding more and more needles. This was at the height of the pandemic, when there were no indoor spaces for street-involved folks to gather in. The loneliness and despair of isolation, coupled with the increased poisoning of the illicit drug supply, led to a significant spike in overdose deaths in Ottawa. It made a bleak time in downtown Ottawa even bleaker, and unfortunately the situation has not improved.

We have all seen the changes in Centretown over the last few years. A shift to remote and hybrid work has hollowed out parts of our downtown, leading to more empty storefronts and a general reduction in the number of eyes on the street. Local health workers report that the new poisons in the street-drug supply, including animal tranquilizers, have led to an increase in erratic behaviour from street-involved individuals, and make it harder to revive people when they overdose.

The majority of people in Canada who die of drug overdoses do so alone in their homes. One of the reasons that drug use is so visible in downtown Ottawa is because so many of our neighbours live in rooming houses or spend the night in shelters. They live their lives very much in public, which means some of the worst moments of their lives are on display for people to see.

All of this leaves us feeling less safe. In August 2023, my office held a packed neighbourhood forum on community security at city hall, along with Ottawa Centre MPP Joel Harden. The energy in the room felt like we were releasing a steam valve on a pressure cooker.

After that emotional meeting, my office worked with local community agencies and the mayor’s office on solutions. Thanks to advocacy from Centretown residents, our neighbourhood will be the site of a new, non-police, 24/7 crisis response service.

When the pilot project launches, residents will be able to call 211 to assist any neighbours who may be experiencing an overdose, having a mental health crisis, or seeking support. Similar services in cities including Toronto and Denver have successfully diverted thousands of calls from policing. The hope is that this will free up police resources to be able to respond more quickly in situations where there may be a genuine threat to public safety.

I am encouraged by the ways in which local agencies are reaching out beyond the doors of their facilities to ensure that all neighbours can feel safer. Inner City Health piloted a block leader program, where people who use drugs worked to clean up the block in front of the Shepherds of Good Hope shelter and discourage drug use in public spaces, especially near children. The Somerset West Community Health Centre convenes a regular community liaison table, where neighbours can speak directly with staff and address any problems associated with the safe consumption site.

And Ottawa Public Health and the Needle Hunters program do regular sweeps of city parks, collecting discarded needles and installing safe disposal boxes in areas where this has become a significant problem.

Still, none of this will address the lack of provincially funded treatment programs, the incredibly low social assistance rates and the shocking rise in both food prices and rents. And while it may feel comforting to some to reach for more criminalization of drug use as a solution, evidence shows us that this will not alleviate the harms of addiction and will likely make things worse.

People who use drugs are our family members and friends. While it may be hazardous to encounter discarded needles, it would be much, much worse to stumble over dead bodies. I don’t want that for any of us. Which is why I refuse to undermine the dignity of anyone in our community as we work on solutions — including for our neighbours who use drugs.

Ariel Troster is the city councillor for Somerset ward.

I saw this week while waiting at that light to turn on King Edward. It doesn't deter me from visiting downtown but there's no doubt that these pockets of the market, especially directly next to these shelters are incredibly scary. In the span of 1 red light we saw several people doing some questionable activity in the alley next to the shelter, lots of panhandlers and some zoned out on drugs sloooowwwwly collapsing on the sidewalk, unable to stand up straight, very sad sights.

Why is all of this happening outside of the shelters and these community centres? Are people told to leave the building during the day? Would be good if there was a way to keep inside, closer to help & services, in the warmth, etc... These people have nowhere else to go and get displaced when they try to take shelter in places like malls & banks.

Arena demolition poses big questions about future of Gatineau homeless camp

Arena demolition poses big questions about Gatineau encampment's future​

Robert-Guertin Centre to be torn down this summer​

safiyah-marhnouj.jpg

Safiyah Marhnouj · CBC News · Posted: Apr 15, 2024 4:00 AM EDT | Last Updated: April 15
A rwo of red tents behind a gate.

Some of the heated winter tents in front of the Robert-Guertin Centre in Gatineau, Que. Once the demolition of the arena begins, people living outside will have to move. (Radio-Canada)

With the demolition of the Robert-Guertin Centre in Gatineau, Que., slated for this summer, questions remain about the relocation of an encampment in the arena's parking lot.
Rows of 28 heated, fire-resistant tents were approved by the city in December and are set to be taken down May 15, regardless of the demolition timeline.
People looking for shelter and services have also set up tents nearby, steps away from the Gîte Ami shelter.
City staff have been communicating regularly with campers and community partners, said the shelter's deputy director François Lescalier.
A man staning in front of a building with campers and tents in the background.

François Lescalier, deputy director of Gatineau's Gîte Ami homeless shelter, says campers want more clarity on when they'll need to move, and where they'll be going. (Radio-Canada)
"What's important is to find a solution, and we're not at that stage yet. That's why there's a certain frustration among organizations and among campers who would like precise answers," he said in French.
Campers don't know exactly when they're expected to leave the area or how much time they'll have to relocate, Lescalier said.
They also don't know here they'll be going, he added, as the city still searching for an alternate location.
Campers and tarps and shopping carts are seen in a makeshift encampment.

Near the heated tents, other makeshift tents and campers are also set up. (Radio-Canada)
While he agrees the encampment will have to move before the demolition, Lescalier said just relocating the tents won't address the homelessness gripping the region.
"If it's [just going to] put people in the same situation somewhere else, it's not a sufficient response," he said.

Lescalier said he hopes the city will have more answers soon, while campers want a longer-term plan on where they can stay as warmer weather arrives.

City still searching for another location​

There are several sites being considered for the proposed relocation, Hull-Wright Coun. Steve Moran said, with many issues to keep in mind.
The site will need water, showers and other sanitation measures, Moran said. It will have to be safe, while also not unduly impacting neighbours.
"We also have to consider the interest of the people being moved, the campers themselves. Is it an appropriate site? Is it close to various other social services which are required?" he said.
Gatineau city councillor Steve Moran

Hull-Wright Coun. Steve Moran says the City of Gatineau is looking into alternate locations to move the encampment, but it's a complicated process that requires a lot of consulting with the community. (Radio-Canada)
The city will try to finalize a second location and complete the move over the next couple of months, Moran said.
Collaborating with those who will be most affected by the move is "really important," he said, noting that in downtown Gatineau, the rate of homelessness has gone up nearly 300 per cent in the past few years.
"People don't choose to live without homes," he said. "As a society, we do not provide the mental health care, the drug addiction care that we need to make sure that people don't live in these situations."

Preparing for summer​

With the winterized tents set to be taken down next month, Devcore, the organization behind them, is already planning for the warmer weather.
One proposal involves setting up shipping containers that have been converted into miniature houses, said Nancy Martineau, Devcore's director of humanitarian projects.
The houses would have beds, toilets, a small fridge and air conditioning, Martineau said. The proposal has yet to be approved by the city, however.
"We've already made plans, we've already met with companies that modify containers. So the work is well underway on our side," she told Radio-Canada in French.

Last edited:
I saw this week while waiting at that light to turn on King Edward. It doesn't deter me from visiting downtown but there's no doubt that these pockets of the market, especially directly next to these shelters are incredibly scary. In the span of 1 red light we saw several people doing some questionable activity in the alley next to the shelter, lots of panhandlers and some zoned out on drugs sloooowwwwly collapsing on the sidewalk, unable to stand up straight, very sad sights.

Why is all of this happening outside of the shelters and these community centres? Are people told to leave the building during the day? Would be good if there was a way to keep inside, closer to help & services, in the warmth, etc... These people have nowhere else to go and get displaced when they try to take shelter in places like malls & banks.
These shelters are not for long term use. All of the shelters that I know of are beds for sleeping, and then you're back out on the street. So imagine you've lost your job, your apartment, and you turn to the shelter system, then you get rotated outdoors every day, have nowhere to have as a home base, lose all your belongings because it's chaos out there and things are stolen from your person while you're asleep, you have lice and bedbug bites. And if you were lucky, your apartment for the last 15 years at $750 is now $2500 and you need first and last month's rent to move in anywhere. Of course, I would turn to drugs too, especially if it got me the hell out of there. There are extremely limited permanent housing solutions. Hence the gigantic problem we've created as a society. Honestly if I had to find a new apartment today, I'm not sure what I could afford without suffering financially, and I've been working for almost 20 years and have a good salary.

Question on the shelter situation. Why is it that everyone is "kicked out" of Shelters during the day and having to spend it on the streets? Wouldn't we see improvements if we let them stay indoors during the day? Could offer these people support? Supervise them? It seems like kicking everyone out at the crack of dawn and forcing them to hangout on the streets and sidewalks is making the problem worst and much more public.

From the Globe & Mail yesterday:​

People living in Gatineau homeless encampment face uncertain future as deadline looms for site’s closing

Nathan Fung
Gatineau
Published Yesterday
Open this photo in gallery:

A security guard patrols a homeless encampment set up by property developer Devcore in a parking lot adjacent to the Robert Guertin Centre, in Gatineau, Que., on May 9.Dave Chan/The Globe and Mail
15 Comments

People living at a homeless encampment in Gatineau are facing an uncertain future as a developer that has provided heated tents and other services on the property for the past five months prepares to discontinue those services and eventually clear the site.

The camp, located in a parking lot adjacent to the Robert Guertin Centre – an arena that has been closed since 2021 and is slated for demolition – was spearheaded by property developer Devcore, which set it up in December following two deaths at a makeshift encampment nearby.

The site in Gatineau, a city of about 300,000 across the river from Ottawa, consists of 48 heated tents inside a fenced perimeter, as well as washroom facilities, security personnel and other intervention services. There are currently 58 people staying there.

But the camp was meant to be temporary and now Devcore is preparing to shut down those services on Wednesday, citing concerns about summer heat on those camped out in an asphalt parking lot. The people living there will be allowed to keep their tents and stay there until the arena demolition begins this summer. Devcore says it plans to eventually set up low-rent housing made from shipping containers, though it is awaiting city approval.

Reanna Ciarla, 29, who has been homeless for the past eight months and is living at the camp, said she’s upset about the coming closing of the site, adding that it will be a challenge to find somewhere to live at an affordable price.

“It was nice that they came out with this because, before that, I was staying in an actual tent and it was cold,” she said. “I don’t know how to survive on my own. Like, this is the first time ever I’m out on the streets.”

Cities across Canada have seen a rise in homelessness in recent years in light of a worsening housing crisis, which has meant that many – including smaller communities such as Gatineau – have seen a growing number of homeless encampments. Ottawa and Gatineau both declared housing and homelessness emergencies in 2020.

Data from the Quebec Ministry of Health and Social Services show that the number of people experiencing homelessness in Gatineau and the Outaouais region jumped from 145 in 2018 to 534 in 2022, an increase of nearly 300 per cent.

The upcoming deadline was part of an agreement between the City of Gatineau and Devcore when the camp was first set up.

In a statement, the city said that people experiencing homelessness will be able to remain on the site given that the tendering process for the demolition of the Robert Guertin Centre is under way and work will begin this summer.

The city added that the people in the area will have a reasonable warning before they are required to relocate, and that the city will continue to show flexibility around the use of the site.

People staying in the camp will be allowed to keep the tents provided by Devcore, which will be modified for summer conditions including the installation of removable mosquito nets.

Nancy Martineau, Devcore’s director of humanitarian projects, acknowledged the encampment has made a difference and that the end of services will be difficult for the people living there.

“After we’re gone, I know they’re going to be stressed because somebody can go in their tent in the middle of the night. They don’t have any more security. So, this already brings a stress. We can see it and we can feel it.”

Devcore has proposed replacing the encampment with a new community of small homes nearby using 50 shipping containers that will have heating, air conditioning and water, which it says could be ready four to six weeks after approval. City council is expected to consider the proposal this week.

While the residents of the encampment were not charged for staying there, rents for the shipping-container housing could range from between $300 to $500 a month, the company says.

Councillor Steve Moran, whose ward includes the Robert Guertin Centre, said the city is reviewing the proposal and weighing legal and safety considerations.

“I think generally, people at the city … are generally favourable to the idea,” he said. “We have to make sure that it actually lives up to the public-health needs of the people living there. So that’s a complicated process and you can’t cut corners on it.”

Mr. Moran added that the homelessness situation in Gatineau has forced the city to act on the issue, such as allocating $5-million to a homelessness assistance fund last year.

“Gatineau is a big city. We are basically in the shadow of the Parliament of Canada and there are people living in an encampment and that’s unacceptable,” he said.

Ms. Ciarla hopes the city and the developer can agree on the proposal for the replacement community as the rent for it would be affordable for her.

“I’m praying that it’s going to be approved,” she said.

Back