News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.9K     0 

Lots of interesting facts there. Thanks for sharing Surreal. I'm looking forward to the shape of things to come at the airport. All the important things, to me at any rate, seem to at least be at the discussion phase.

So they are still considering LRT to the airport. I thought that was ruled out already, but I'm glad to see they are considering it. On top of the aiport you have a lot of other business that can be serviced by it, and it would only be what, 1 or 2kms of the existing line?

I didn't think LRT to the airport was something we'd ever see, but know who knows. When you think about it, it's not really that far from an existing line, and there wouldn't need to be any stops between the airport and main line, which would help cut down on costs.

That's a good sign! I don't mind that building at all.

Speaking of development in the North Central area. A DP was just submitted for a small 14 unit infill project at these two lots on 14th ave NE.
https://www.google.ca/maps/@51.0651...4!1soxG8OgyBwWu3BwSbhD-3oA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Image13.jpg

Attachments

• Image13.jpg
    Image13.jpg
    269.4 KB · Views: 449
I didn't think LRT to the airport was something we'd ever see, but know who knows. When you think about it, it's not really that far from an existing line, and there wouldn't need to be any stops between the airport and main line, which would help cut down on costs.

I think it's been more integral to airport plans than most people think. Here's an older CBC article about the tunnel. As you can see the train has always been part of the plan. Based on what I see though, we'll have to wait until the next station after Saddletown is built on the Blue Line and until the Green Line is up into the area of Pannorama Hills. From there the hardest bit of work will be bridging accross Deerfoot.

There won't need to be a bridge across Deerfoot, the Airport LRT will not form a loop between the North Central and NE LRTs, as the Green Line will be low floor. There is no way to connect them. The airport will only be connected to the NE Line.

My guess is they would only come in from the NE line, but who knows maybe someday we'll have a ring line around the whole city. :) Unfortunately I may not live long enough to see it.

That's a good point about the ride level. I didn't consider that, but I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility. As far as I know, the gauge of the track is the same for both trains. You'd just need to make some special stations. Either one station on either the Green or the Blue lines that could handle both heights and only run one type of train along the spur or have all three stations in order to run both. The only reason I'm still married to this idea of it joining both lines is that I recall seeing a map of the airport that seems to show a "T" shape with the station at the airport along the vertical line then the bar running all the way across airport trail. I wish I could find it.

An interesting area of work. I think Olympic Plaza would do much better if Stephen Ave continued on to through City Hall and to the library. I've heard that this is all part of the plan, so who knows. Right now though, with the plaza being at the end of Stephen Ave, and butting up against city hall, it's not a plaza that will ever be utilized to its potential. Proof of that is the LRT station at City Hall. It's always busy, but Olympic Plaza just around the corner isn't.....there just isn't anything drawing people to it.

Agreed. I like some of the suggestions that are starting to pop up though. The craziest, in terms of epxense, was some ones suggestion that they cut and cover MacLeod Trail so that the City Hall Plaza and Olympic Plaza could be made into one. That would be pretty cool.

IMHO, the biggest problem with the plaza is not the plaza itself, but what's around it. The Performing arts centre brings some life after hours, but only sporadically, and there is nothing else nearby, and because Stephen Ave is a dead end with city hall there, there's no opportunity for passer-by traffic.

Back