A refresher on what will surely be a beautiful tower for Boston (renderings via the Boston Globe):

ProjectGraphics-1A.jpg

061913copley.jpg

Behind-the-scenes foundation work is underway- this tower is over a highway on an air rights parcel and construction/prep work will take longer than usual for a tower of this size as a result.

Thanks for the details, @Hub ! It inspired our front page story about this project!

Also, for context, here is the site before construction started:
Screen Shot 2016-02-24 at 10.09.47 AM.png

Interstate 90 is right underneath. I'm curious to see more pictures of the site as they dig down.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-02-24 at 10.09.47 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-02-24 at 10.09.47 AM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 425
Thanks for the details, @Hub ! It inspired our front page story about this project!

Also, for context, here is the site before construction started:
View attachment 68036

Interstate 90 is right underneath. I'm curious to see more pictures of the site as they dig down.
I noticed the update! Glad to inspire.

I, too, am curious to see when/if/how they excavate for this project.

I'm going to add a bit of historical context: as messy of a pedestrian environment Copley Place is now, it actually used to be nonexistent:

1957: No Mass Pike or Prudential Center (site is near the top right corner of the railyards)
2071449_orig.jpg

1960s: Mass Pike Construction creates highway ramps and destroys the old urban fabric (circled in red below)
1384342698.jpg

Bottom right of image here:
2734768_orig.jpg

And the ramps were covered in the 1980s by Copley Place (still the last major air rights development in Boston)
Copley-Place-Bing-Map-Side.png

Those historic images above are from bostonstreetcars.com, an immensely useful historical site. Check it out!

Back