Do you support the proposal for the new arena?

• Yes

Votes: 89 65.0%
  • No

Votes: 39 28.5%
  • Maybe

Votes: 9 6.6%

• Total voters
They raised grade in large portions of the east village 1-2m to get above the flood plain. Look at current and past street views in the NE portion of the area, you can see it happening as part of the infrastructure and paving that was undertaken.
Much of Eau Claire was also raised. If you look at some of the parking lots, they are below street level as they were not raised.

Last edited:
Much or Eau Claire was also raised. If you look at some of the parking lots, they are below street levels as they were not raised.
I was trying to remember which lot was a couple feet below street level, was thinking it was in EV, but this is the one I was thinking about! This building is a good example of where the street levels used to be in the Eau Claire area. Joe Phillips Bldg

I was trying to remember which lot was a couple feet below street level, was thinking it was in EV, but this is the one I was thinking about! This building is a good example of where the street levels used to be in the Eau Claire area. Joe Phillips Bldg
The retaining wall on the other side of these bushes shows how much grade was raised when Livingston Place went up

Last edited:
I heard over the weekend that the CIty spent $2m determining what to do with that tree. They had to form a special committee to decide it's fate. JFC
Patently hilarious. Imagine if we had taken $5k of that to cut it down (which is, ultimately, what happened), and used the other $1,995,000 on landscape enhancements for the entry plaza and around the EC.

Anyway....can confirm the press and club bridges (ala, MSG and LCA) are still part of the design. Have a friend working on the engineering components of that.

I heard over the weekend that the CIty spent $2m determining what to do with that tree. They had to form a special committee to decide it's fate. JFC
Sometimes people get so focused on the little things they lose track of the big picture. $2 Million could have bought them a couple hundred new trees and the costs of watering and maintaining them for a few years.

Patently hilarious. Imagine if we had taken $5k of that to cut it down (which is, ultimately, what happened), and used the other $1,995,000 on landscape enhancements for the entry plaza and around the EC.

Anyway....can confirm the press and club ?bridges (ala, MSG and LCA) are still part of the design. Have a friend working on the engineering components of that.
Ooh, do they have any other tidbits?

Pretty standard city processes, but the $ amount is very likely a blend of hyperbole with back casting a future estimate on how to move such a thing.

Ooh, do they have any other tidbits?
not really, did acknowledge what's already been publicized is a gamechanger for the bowl design...mid-level club concourse, and main concourse at top of lower bowl. Exterior will look different, aside from obvious community arena addition.

IMO, much like LCA, in comparison to Rogers...because of that mid-level club concourse, moving some suites to the top of lower bowl (as well as suite level) at centre ice does free up space for some more creative club options on the ends. The last design was VERY tight in the ends, those loge/mini box clubs really suffered. Fingers crossed for a large bar in the upper bowl at one end.

I'd also like a clean, square scoreboard look like toronto/vancouver/edmonton....unlike those rectangular things which give a middle finger to anyone on the ends.

Last edited:
I'd also like a clean, square scoreboard look like toronto/vancouver/edmonton....unlike those rectangular things which give a middle finger to anyone on the ends.
And yet it would still be an upgrade over watching highlights on a 90s big screen tv, like the poors in the Saddledome currently get.

Back