• I dislike it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I dislike it a lot

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
DSCN2703~2.JPG
DSCN2702~2.JPG
DSCN2700~2.JPG

I dig this building. Great to see more of this type of density popping up all over.
Agreed. This area of Whyte needs some newer options for rental stock as well.

Now can someone build a couple of these around Westmount? Pls

It really is fairly simple math - a six storey building is at least double the density of all the ubiquitous 3 storey buildings we see in places like Old Strathcona and probably even more than that if parking is put underneath, rather than on a surface lot behind. Its not so overwhelming or as expensive as a high rise so it still fits in relatively with the neighbouring buildings.

Most of the denser older cities have a lot of 5 or 6 storey buildings and as some of the older buildings in our more central areas come to the end of their life this is a relatively easy way to both increase density and add some newer housing stock.

It really is fairly simple math - a six storey building is at least double the density of all the ubiquitous 3 storey buildings we see in places like Old Strathcona and probably even more than that if parking is put underneath, rather than on a surface lot behind. Its not so overwhelming or as expensive as a high rise so it still fits in relatively with the neighbouring buildings.

Most of the denser older cities have a lot of 5 or 6 storey buildings and as some of the older buildings in our more central areas come to the end of their life this is a relatively easy way to both increase density and add some newer housing stock.

I'm all for more 6 storey residential buildings all over - cheaper to build (which should mean more affordable), less time to get approved (I think) and certainly less time to build.

A housing density advocacy group in Toronto called More Neighbours has been gaining a lot of traction and clout there and taking on prominent low density communities like Cabbagetown on the arguement of 'character'. It's primarily focused on 6-10 storey projects. Now Calgary has started its own group - More Neighbours YYC to focus on the missing middle there. I think Edmonton just needs an advocacy group called No More Crap YEG. I think the posters on here could make up a full Board of Directors.

I'm all for more 6 storey residential buildings all over - cheaper to build (which should mean more affordable), less time to get approved (I think) and certainly less time to build.

A housing density advocacy group in Toronto called More Neighbours has been gaining a lot of traction and clout there and taking on prominent low density communities like Cabbagetown on the arguement of 'character'. It's primarily focused on 6-10 storey projects. Now Calgary has started its own group - More Neighbours YYC to focus on the missing middle there. I think Edmonton just needs an advocacy group called No More Crap YEG. I think the posters on here could make up a full Board of Directors.

I nominate @TAS, @David A, @northlands, @Glenco, @cmd uw, @Avenuer and @Kaizen to the Board of Directors of No More Crap YEG with Stephen Mandel as President Emeritus! 👍

BTW in case anyone is questioning my nominations or is offended by them, I simply selected most of the posters in this thread from #18 onward.

Yeah, I agree. It's also not like every single existing building needs to be replaced. We already have remnant old homes in Strathcona and these post-war walk-ups from the '70s can have a few left over with 5-over-1s being the next generation. It adds an eclecticism while refreshing the neighbourhood with more density that's a naturally progression from what was built 50+ years ago.

Back