P3220153.jpg

Attachments

• P3220152.jpg
    P3220152.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 561
  • P3220153.jpg
    P3220153.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 477
Interesting. How is the unit makeup? Is it all condos? I thought there was some affordable housing involved with this one too. Given that sales are only starting now, are they waiting on meeting a certain number before starting construction? Just curious as to what their model is financially.

I agree -- while it is a bit too squat and boxy to be qualified as excellent design there are a few things that I like about the proposed building. I certainly like, functionally, how the building addresses the alley, continuing a trend to make these areas useful public spaces. I like the visual interplay of the balcony arrangement, and I like the podium design from the perspective of its addressing the street-level historic nature of Strathcona. And, as you note @Edward Skira, it certainly is better than a vacant lot -- hopefully, construction will begin soon.

May 16 EDC minutes are finally available:

B.2. Mezzo (Development Permit Application)
Marshall Tittemore Architects - Mike Woodland
10506 to 10516 - 81 Avenue NW
Sites legally described as:
Lots 32 - 35, Block 63, Plan I
P. Spearey read the comments of the Development Planner.
MOVED: W. Sims Motion of support with conditions, requiring Administrative walk-on.
● The documents provided and the presentation made are inconsistent in terms of describing the variation in location, depth, detailing and finishes of balconies. Provide updated documents resolving these inconsistencies.
● Provide an updated night-time rendering of the south facade illustrating the impact of proposed lighting on the massing of the balconies.
SECONDED: T. Antoniuk
CARRIED
FOR THE MOTION:, H, Mapstone, M. Figueira, W. Sims, R. Labonte, T. Antoniuk, C. Craig, S. Kaznacheeva, A. Rowe

https://www.edmonton.ca/city_government/documents/PDF/EdmontonDesignCommitteeMinutesMay_16_2017.pdf

Back