8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

D

Darkstar416

Continued from Paris I...

Still on the left bank is the fabulous Musée d'Orsay.
DSCN1566.jpg

The museum's building originally housed a railway station, Gare d'Orsay.
DSCN1567.jpg

Inside Musée d'Orsay. Their collection includes a variety of art from the 1848-1914 period, including a superb Impressionists section.
DSCN1568.jpg

Musée d'Orsay (cont.)
DSCN1569.jpg

Musée d'Orsay (cont.)
DSCN1571.jpg

A view of Musée du Louvre from the terrasse of Musée d'Orsay.
DSCN1572.jpg

From the terrasse of Musée d'Orsay...looking north towards Montmartre/Sacré-Coeur.
DSCN1573.jpg

A statue on the terrasse of Musée d'Orsay.
DSCN1574.jpg

The cafeteria inside Musée d'Orsay.
DSCN1575.jpg

Musée d'Orsay (cont.)
DSCN1576.jpg

Musée d'Orsay (cont.)
DSCN1577.jpg

simply Dan admiring Gustave Caillebotte's "Raboteurs de Parquet" (1875).
DSCN1578.jpg

Musée du Louvre.
DSCN1580.jpg

We'll come back to the Musée du Louvre a little later, but for now, here's a pic of I.M. Pei's famous pyramid.
DSCN1581.jpg

Then it was time to check-out Montmartre, but first we had to navigate the stairs in the Abbesses métro station.
DSCN1583.jpg

Abbesses métro (cont.)
DSCN1584.jpg

The labyrinth-like streets of Montmartre are quite different from the rest of the city. Basically, one of the few notable areas not to be touched by Baron Hausman's massive rebuilding plan.
DSCN1585.jpg

As we slowly ascend Montmartre a boulangerie grabs our attention...
DSCN1586.jpg

...and keeps our attention. Those big pink and green things are giant meringues!
DSCN1587.jpg

La Basilique du Sacré-Coeur de Montmartre!
DSCN1588.jpg

Looking down from the top of Montmartre. "Amelie Poulain...is that you down there?"
DSCN1589.jpg

Sacré-Coeur (cont.)
DSCN1598.jpg

A night view of La Tour Eiffel from the top of Montmartre.
DSCN1598A.jpg

Situated in the red-light district of Pigalle is the infamous Moulin Rouge.
DSCN1604.jpg

A bar in the Pigalle district. We liked their sign so we ended up avin' a few 'ere.
DSCN1610.jpg

The following morning we got a bright and early start on the massive Musée du Louvre.
DSCN1614.jpg

The Louvre Pyramid acts as a giant foyer for the museum. It was commissioned by then French president François Mitterrand and designed by I.M. Pei (the same architect as Commerce Court West in Toronto).
DSCN1615.jpg

The Louvre Pyramid (cont.)
DSCN1616.jpg

We ended up taking a guided english tour of The Louvre which I'd highly recommend for first-time visitors.
DSCN1617.jpg

Before Louis XIII (1610-1643) built The Louvre as a grand palace, there was actually a medieval castle once on the site. Here are the foundations of the Castle of the Louvre (under the current Musée du Louvre).
DSCN1618.jpg

The Greek Antiquities Gallery.
DSCN1619.jpg

The Etruscan & Roman Antiquities Gallery.
DSCN1620.jpg

The Winged Victory of Samothrace.
DSCN1623.jpg

The Italian Paintings Gallery. No photography of the Mona Lisa was allowed (in case you are wondering).
DSCN1624.jpg

Venus de Milo.
DSCN1625.jpg

I.M. Pei's La Pyramide Inversée avec Darkstar416!
DSCN1627.jpg

Arguably the biggest error ever perpetrated on Parisian soil - Le Forum des Halles. Plans are to raze this underground shopping monstrosity and to replace it with a Covent Garden-like Marché (which strangely enough was what originally sat here).
DSCN1629.jpg

Paris III is here.

The winning design for the Les Halles renovation was pretty conventional compared to the Rem Koolhaus design of colourful pyramid shapes. I hope they reconsider.

Whenever I see Winged Victory I think of Audrey Hepburn and Funny Face.

Back