Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Back from the dead:

- New Laurier Campus, combined with new Congestoga Campus.

- A long term care home will also be built on site.

Key points from the News Release:

-The new Milton campus is expected to accommodate 6,700 students and will focus on university and college academic programs in high-demand fields such as science, health care, engineering, technology, and business.
-This includes approximately 3,750 students for Conestoga College and approximately 2,940 students for Wilfrid Laurier University.
-Campus opens 2024 (presumably September)
-Campus will be 275,000ft2
-The Schlegel Villages long-term care home is expected to open in late 2023 and will provide 192 new, modern, safe and comfortable long-term care spaces in Milton.
-Much back-patting as this will be expedited by MZO.

1623945699163.png

Laurier Presser here:

Previous discussion regarding previous plans can be read in this thread: https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threads/laurier-campus-in-milton.6369/ , posts relevant to current plans have been copied above.

The Milton Education Village is a master-planned mixed-use institutional, residential & commercial development on the lands west of Tremaine Road, south of Derry Road and north of Britannia Road in West Milton. These lands were subject to a MZO in June 2021:

1699463255522.png

Master Concept Plan, prepared by Korsiak:
1699463310429.png

Wilfrid Laurier University and Conestoga College are developing new campuses south of the existing Mattamy National Cycling Centre:
1699463452073.png

Conceptual renderings of the Laurier Campus:
milton-campus-overview-rendering.jpg

milton-campus-entrance-rendering.jpg

milton-campus-overview-with-research-fields-rendering.jpg

milton-campus-greenbelt-and-research-fields-rendering.jpg

milton-campus-overview-with-greenbelt-lands-renderings.jpg

indigenous-gathering-structure-rendering.jpg

milton-campus-walkway-rendering.jpg

milton-campus-waterway-rendering.jpg

During development of the MEV, Laurier will renovate the Laurier Milton Academic Centre, Laurier's leased space within the MEVIN Building at 555 Industrial Drive, Milton:
milton-academic-centre-exterior-rendering.jpg

milton-dining-space-rendering.jpg

milton-main-entrance-interior-rendering.jpg

milton-student-commons-rendering.jpg

Last edited:
  • Interim water and wastewater servicing strategy is underway with Halton Region
  • Wilfrid Laurier University has a site alteration permit under review for structural fill of phase 1 (just south of the Mattamy National Cycling Centre)
  • Schlegel Villages
    • Foundation (conditional permit) has been issued for phase 1 and work is underway
    • Site alteration under construction to bring in structural fill and setup temporary stormwater for the building site

Site prep is underway as of September 2023:
1699464217454.png

1699464223663.png

1699464229237.png

1699464237371.png

1699464248474.png

I have to say, within the context that this will be sprawl built over current farmland, the plans look decent'ish.

But if a campus could not have been placed super close to downtown Milton, I think my second choice would have been:

1699464408668.png

About 4km north of the proposed site. My logic would be this, it would be directly linked to Main Street in Milton, which does go downtown and this link would help support the downtown and the University and a solid transit artery. It would also be next to the GO Milton corridor (beyond the current terminus, but by a mere 2.7km, perfect for extending Milton GO by a single station, right at campus.

Last edited:
I have to say, within the context that this will be sprawl built over current farmland, the plans look decent'ish.

But if a campus could not have been placed super close to downtown Milton, I think my second choice would have been:

View attachment 518811

About 4km north of the proposed site. My logic would be this, it would be directly linked to Main Street in Milton, which does go downtown and this link would help support the downtown and the University and a solid transit artery. It would also be next to the GO Milton corridor (beyond the current terminus, but by a mere 2.7km, perfect for extending Milton GO by a single station, right at campus.
Put anything of substance along the Milton line to try and encourage all day service.

It still makes me angry that Brampton’s transit-oriented downtown university project went down the shitter while Milton’s gawdawful site is actually happening.
Algoma now exceeds the proposed TMU student body by this date. Brampton got the university, just run as a branch of a different university.

Algoma now exceeds the proposed TMU student body by this date. Brampton got the university, just run as a branch of a different university.
York University started as an affiliate of the U of T before becoming independent, so it is possible (even if I think unlikely) that some of the satellite campuses being setup these days may eventually follow a similar path.

Renderings for new Schlegel Village’s The Village of Ridgeview Court sub project located on Tremaine at Dymott up to 2 x 12 Storeys retirement home and 3-Storey for Long Term Care Home up to 192 beds

IMG_1631.jpeg

So...what's that curious pill shaped building, may I ask?

Back