News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

More on the SunRise building (formerly Capital Tower) reno

BMO program finances Edmonton apartment tower retrofit

Very interesting read-up. This is the first project funded in Western Canada through a new BMO energy retrofit program.
I know all the residents were evicted now a few years ago, and I love seeing companies invest money to renew old assets like this, but damn it's hard not to get some mixed feelings on projects like these. From what I heard living conditions in the building pre-reno ranged from subpar to awful but at the same time it was cheap cheap cheap and probably one of the only options for a lot of people in precarious financial situations (and probably still much better than being homeless). Ideal spot too for those utilizing all of the surrounding supports (from the Spadey to the Royal Alex). Guess what I'm saying is I wish a non-profit operator with some capital for improvement could have picked it up but those are obviously few and far in between.

We continually lose more and more low cost options for those living on the financial edge, even if they weren't necessarily great options. I think it was @YEG imagineer who mentioned the loss of rooming houses and this sort of reminds me of that. They aren't perfect options for low income folks who deserve to live somewhere clean, secure and safe but again it's gotta be better than sleeping in a tent

Back