MidTenn1

Member Bio
Reaction score
The Buckingham Company has proposed construction of a 38 story (residences/42 stories total) Apartment Tower in the new and trendy neighborhood known as the 'Gulch'. It is designed by Skidmore, Owings and Merrill and should be in the range of 450' +/-. Its location on a narrow lot, slightly elevated from the rest of the actual gulch, will make it a skyline changer as it helps stretch the skyline across I-40 toward Mid-Town.

The developers have received approval for a height variance as current regulations would have limited it to 25 floors. The Buckingham Company has a history of getting large projects developed in Nashville and elsewhere. There is no reason to believe this project won't happen. It is scheduled to start in late 2016.

Sliver%20building%20Gulch%20_zpsdjilga9j.jpg

Bham%2038%20story%20model%20crop_zpsadoludva.jpg

The Buckingham is rendered on the far right of the picture. This diagram only shows a few proposed and under construction projects lining I-40 in what is called the Gulch (that rapidly developing area between the railroad tracks and I-40).
I40%20Mazda%20Tower_zpsbcsep5ud.jpg

:cool:

The Gulch area was previously just a low rise industrial/warehouse development area. The City bought the land in the early 2000's and awarded the development rights to Market Street Enterprises. The City built some 'complete' streets (IE; sidewalks, landscaping, etc.) and the developers built the 14 story Terrazzo Condos and the 22 story Icon Condos (recently home to Ted Dansen and Mary Steenburgen and Marcus Mariotta). Construction was halted during the recession, but Nashville's economy is super strong and work on a 10 story office, 22 story condo, 15 story office, 10 story hotel, two large low-rise apartments soon began once things settled down.

Now there is talk of a 25 Story Edition/4 Seasons Hotel, another 20+ story condo and the actual proposal for the above described 38 story Buckingham Apartments.

The low lying area known as the Gulch extends to the north where some other developments are underway including a 33 acre project with several mid-rise and low-rise, mixed-use developments breaking ground and going up. There is an Austin Texas developer who bought some prime property in the north gulch who has been shopping around a rendering of a 50+ story office/apartment proposal at out of town meetings to sign up clients.

It is an upscale neighborhood, created from urban scraps and has become a nationally known urban hot spot (Per New York Times, etc.).

Have the renderings for the 50+ story development been made public and also, is this the property that was the Mazda dealership?

Have the renderings for the 50+ story development been made public and also, is this the property that was the Mazda dealership?

They have not been posted or published as far as I know. But I have seen where some blog posters have validated this claim.

Back