hoggytime

Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score

up to 72m | 8/8/20/20/22s

Previous discussion on SSP Ottawa

Render
zFqcKiQ.png

Will be nice to see progress and see phase 2 shaping up. Looks like both towers & the shorter building in the back are all labelled "phase 2", so they might go up relatively together like we saw in phase 1. Still hopeful but doubtful of what these towers will look like, based on the bait-and-switch we saw on phase 1 again... Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't they supposed to save/rebuild that Japanese pavilion looking building?

Yes they are to rebuild it.

This is also much glassier that the previous tower. This is unfortunately the best render (South elevation).

1707835868448.png

With the overall of the two new towers below, you can see the rebuilt pavillon in the bottom right, there will be parking below it but I think it is intended to become a studio for rent. Likely yoga or something. Note, this is actually a pretty accurate representation of phase 1 so fingers crossed there isn't a big bait and switch.

1707835930206.png

Honestly find the finished product better than the rendering. Few things I'd trade, but quite satisfied. Biggest issue though is the bland balcony railings that don't highlight the pattern.

I'm so curious whether phase 2 will actually those get massive glass curtain walls. I am also curious if both the 2nd and 3rd tower will be built at the same time. Westgate will become yet another tabletop/uniform wall Ottawa skyline if they don't get cracking on the taller towers at Westgate some day soon. It's giving me Downtown Rideau vibes.

Screenshot 2024-02-13 161631.png

Screenshot 2024-02-13 162028.png

Remember this is a but a small part of the large land assemblies around the Queensway/Carling intersection (including all the light industrial land around the old dairy / Canadian tire "projects".

I would bet that a bunch of the landowners are waiting on the TMP to see if Carling LRT is still in the cards. The majority of skyline would be seen from the highway here in which case you are kind of travelling right through the middle of it which negates the tabletop feel.

I'm so curious whether phase 2 will actually those get massive glass curtain walls. I am also curious if both the 2nd and 3rd tower will be built at the same time. Westgate will become yet another tabletop/uniform wall Ottawa skyline if they don't get cracking on the taller towers at Westgate some day soon. It's giving me Downtown Rideau vibes.
This is no Downtown Rideau. Better quality projects, space between the towers, some variation in height and mass. Makes perfect sense that Carling Avenue stroad one ups Downtown Rideau. 🤔
Remember this is a but a small part of the large land assemblies around the Queensway/Carling intersection (including all the light industrial land around the old dairy / Canadian tire "projects".

I would bet that a bunch of the landowners are waiting on the TMP to see if Carling LRT is still in the cards. The majority of skyline would be seen from the highway here in which case you are kind of travelling right through the middle of it which negates the tabletop feel.
Better propose and build now based on the "plan" to build the Carling LRT. If it's removed, developers will have a harder time arguing their case for density along a corridor with "planned" transit that will never actually get built.

I bet Carling will be downgraded to a BRT-Lite-Lite (which was supposed to be built years ago) based on... checks notes... more density than we expected?

Saw this Facebook ad for this development this week, The Talisman.

I guess move in for the first phase starts in June. Phase 1 in the render looks very similar to actual product, so hopefully we get a phase 2 that actually looks like this (amount of glass and red accent).
IMG_6628.png

The finally started cladding those random open patches on the podium this morning. The north east corner is coloured like a Corten steel but I am not sure what the actual material is. So it looks like it is holding true to the above render.

I'll have to get the drone up, but in passing today it looked like they are excavating for both the 2nd and 3rd towers. It's so rare that we see multi-phase projects built consecutively without delay in this city.

Back