Mississauga developed as a commuter suburb of Toronto. With population growth it has a developing downtown core. I think Hurontario LRT will create more transit options. But to go anywhere in Mississauga you need a car.

If Milton Line adds a stop at MCC and becomes all day two way Line like Lakeshore
If Eglinton LRT gets extended to intersect with Hurtontario LRT at Eglinton station
If Bloor-Danforth Subway line gets extended into MCC
If a new LRT line gets built from MCC to UTM and Erin Mills

Besides these developments, to get anywhere you need a car.

Mississauga developed as a commuter suburb of Toronto. With population growth it has a developing downtown core. I think Hurontario LRT will create more transit options. But to go anywhere in Mississauga you need a car.

If Milton Line adds a stop at MCC and becomes all day two way Line like Lakeshore
If Eglinton LRT gets extended to intersect with Hurtontario LRT at Eglinton station
If Bloor-Danforth Subway line gets extended into MCC
If a new LRT line gets built from MCC to UTM and Erin Mills

Besides these developments, to get anywhere you need a car.
This is my take as well. There is a world where people live in a very dense and walkable MCC and on a dense hurontario corridor and super dense Cooksville and port credit. These people will move around Mississauga differently than the rest of Mississauga. They will be encouraged to use transit and their feet as much as possible. But even in this world I think they still will want car access because there are times you will want to go outside those lines. For instance I live on hurontario but my tennis club is 15 minutes away and it wouldn’t even be possible to access on transit. Could a tennis club be built right on hurontario. Sure but not likely. These are the random things which make people want a car. Or my family who lives in Ottawa. To take a train there I have to rely on the Milton lines schedule and then transfer to via. That’s a bit much. I’ll drive. There will always be some random events that people will want a car. People who live downtown Toronto and have far greater access to things by foot or by train have cars. It's just unrealistic to think that all these new condos won’t have them as well.

9 level parking garage!!

This is unprecedented in Ontario, no? That's so ridiculous. Can anyone here recall how many levels the M City condos had for underground parking and how many years those garages took from shovels to reaching grade? The astronomical direct costs of digging that deep are compounded by significant indirect cost related to the completion delays that each level of parking adds to the project. I'd love if anyone more educated than I could estimate the cost of the parking garage, but my amateur rules of thumb suggest this garage could cost in the $40M range for direct costs only, nevermind any above-grade costs.

This is unprecedented in Ontario, no? That's so ridiculous. Can anyone here recall how many levels the M City condos had for underground parking and how many years those garages took from shovels to reaching grade? The astronomical direct costs of digging that deep are compounded by significant indirect cost related to the completion delays that each level of parking adds to the project. I'd love if anyone more educated than I could estimate the cost of the parking garage, but my amateur rules of thumb suggest this garage could cost in the $40M range for direct costs only, nevermind any above-grade costs.
I believe above grade parking garages cost at least $50,000 per spot. There's 954 below grade spots here. So this garage could easily be well over $50m.

I think M city had 6 levels. It took them about 6 months to dig and about 6 months to build so roughly 1 year from shovels to reaching grade. In this case you are probably looking at ~ 20 months to reach grade.

I believe above grade parking garages cost at least $50,000 per spot. There's 954 below grade spots here. So this garage could easily be well over $50m.
Why do we care how much it costs if it’s what the consumer wants. It’s the same as balcony’s. They cost a lot but people want them so builders build them.

I think M city had 6 levels. It took them about 6 months to dig and about 6 months to build so roughly 1 year from shovels to reaching grade. In this case you are probably looking at ~ 20 months to reach grade.
What is the difference in site size. Is the 3 extra levels because it’s on a tighter floor plan?

What is the difference in site size. Is the 3 extra levels because it’s on a tighter floor plan?
The M buildings all have very large development blocks. M3 is built on a block that would probably normally have 2-3 towers, but Rogers went with one 85-storey tower instead.

I believe M is building 1:1 parking too, this is 0.7, so there is actually less parking in this building than in the M towers.

I would guess it is the site plan. M1 and M2 have huge podiums so the entire sites are much bigger. I think for M3/4 the sites are smaller so they might’ve added another level or perhaps the parking spot/unit ratio could be lower.

Have you actually lived in Mississauga and tried to do without a car ? I lived downtown for 20 years and I mostly didn’t have a car or rarely used one and I was happy because all the stuff and places I needed on a daily basis were within walking distance and a car was needed only for going out of town. Doing the same in Mississauga is impossible. I once had to leave my car at the dealership for a couple of weeks and thought I could try to see how we could do without it. My grocery store trip that usually takes 40 minutes took us almost 4 hours! Try to raise a family in Mississauga without a car and we will see how you feel about it.

You can’t force people to abandon their cars unless fast and reliable transit exists and with reasonable coverage.
The biggest predictor of car usage is owning a parking stall or car. If you can create more housing without cars as a default, we'll get walkable services nearby and demand for transit.

The biggest predictor of car usage is owning a parking stall or car. If you can create more housing without cars as a default, we'll get walkable services nearby and demand for transit.
Of course if you eliminate parking altogether you are going to create a walkable neighborhood. But good luck getting people to buy those condo units. This isn’t downtown Toronto. Even there I had parking. My friends had parking. We might have put 5000km on our car each year. Just because you have a parking spot doesn’t mean you will drive the standard 25000 kms a year contributing to clogging up streets. That’s insane fear mongering and will simply push people to live in other areas.

If you need to know why people want a parking spot versus ride share, it’s simply because some people don’t like the hassle of using such services. While others don’t like sharing for sanitary reasons.

Never mind parking, the new renderings indicate terrible design decline over previous. Arcadie is simply using IBI as a cash cow. IBI on its own was beginning to design some interesting buildings. These two are dreck on the skyline.

Never mind parking, the new renderings indicate terrible design decline over previous. Arcadie is simply using IBI as a cash cow. IBI on its own was beginning to design some interesting buildings. These two are dreck on the skyline.
I actually prefer the flat roof versus the curved roof. Now everyone who doesn’t own a car can use the buildings roof top helicopter share service. Much more urban.

Last edited:

Back