innsertnamehere

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Toronto
96 unit, 7-storey affordable housing development beside the Under-construction Westgate on Main condo in Hamilton. Replaces a single-storey Wimpy's Diner.

MFgULl7h.jpeg

P555pFHh.jpeg

c1agUKRh.jpeg

I was wondering when we'd finally see this location developped for the longest time...but for this? The scale and form are great, but another development with no retail at grade along Main St is just baffling. There's no reason for that, especially with the proximity to Locke St which is a pretty good local driver for business.

I was wondering when we'd finally see this location developped for the longest time...but for this? The scale and form are great, but another development with no retail at grade along Main St is just baffling. There's no reason for that, especially with the proximity to Locke St which is a pretty good local driver for business.

Agree on retail; not so keen on some aspects of the design......in particular I dislike asymmetrical design on the lower podium, and the use of small bits of odd, clashing, colour.

I like colour, but have it show up as a nice warm tone of brick; and striking bit of definition around the retail level (if there were one) or along the roof line, or the window frames.

This just does not appeal to me at all.

Serious question… Have any of these downtown developments had Archeologists on site during excavation?

Anything along Main/King/York could contain artifacts based on old trail maps of the city. Also, there’s a rumoured mound site just north of the Fashion District condos on Wilson, and I don’t recall seeing or hearing anything about archeological observation there? Just a lot of photo ops with developers and PR folks.

Developers are mandated to submit a cultural heritage report with their proposals, but are they required to hire an archeologist during the dig?

hopefully it turns out better than that city housing building on Bay. That cladding is some of the worst i've seen, and this one looks similar.

Back