Just curious: given the 1M Canadian population increase in the last 9 months, and the no-end-in-site lack of affordable rental units, are the city/province trying to push 2x or 3x the existing unit count when a rent-controlled building is being demolished for a new development? Seems like a no brainer to add a few extra floors with non-luxury rental units? I made that one of the comments I made to the city as a current tenant of 55 Brownlow.

Just curious: given the 1M Canadian population increase in the last 9 months, and the no-end-in-site lack of affordable rental units, are the city/province trying to push 2x or 3x the existing unit count when a rent-controlled building is being demolished for a new development? Seems like a no brainer to add a few extra floors with non-luxury rental units? I made that one of the comments I made to the city as a current tenant of 55 Brownlow.
Shot down at April PHC https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2024/ph/bgrd/backgroundfile-244340.pdf

Just another thing to add that will affect this street, if not this development. Just received a notice for a Community consultation meeting regarding a pre-application proposal for 54-70 Brownlow - the townhouses on the west side of Brownlow.

We already have a thread for that!

Resubmitted with the following changes:
  • Heights decreased from 199.55 & 187.34m to 196.6 & 184.5m
  • Total vehicular parking reduced from 235 to 230
  • Total bicycle parking reduced from 1375 to 1374
  • Total GFA reduced slightly
Updated renderings:
PLN - Architectural Plans - Architectural Set_55-75 Brownlow Ave_Part1-8.jpg
PLN - Architectural Plans - Architectural Set_55-75 Brownlow Ave_Part1-619.jpg
PLN - Architectural Plans - Architectural Set_55-75 Brownlow Ave_Part1-620.jpg

Massing perspectives:
PLN - Simplified Report Graphics - Simplified graphics_55-75Brownlow-6.jpg
PLN - Simplified Report Graphics - Simplified graphics_55-75Brownlow-7.jpg

---
As an aside: shoutout to the architect who marked the elevator machine room overrun on the drawings for this submission! Much appreciated!
* Note to all architects: please mark the topmost protrusions of your buildings in section/elevation drawings!

Quadreal closed on a few properties last month at the corner of Brownlow and Soudan for about $31m - ie 214 to 226 Soudan and 19 to 21 Brownlow

Looks like a 3rd tower could be coming. I can't seem to find the block and context plan for this site, but I did see in the sun-shadow study a concept tower of roughly about 20 stories drawn in.

The depth of the site/s is 45m so you can def get a tower in there while providing 10 - 12.5m to the north to hit at least 20m separation to the 59 storey

1715626145868.png

Back