Paclo

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
A proposed 4-storey retirement home and commercial building designed by Kirkor Architects for Fieldgate Properties on the southwest corner of Kerns Road and Four Seasons Drive in Burlington's Tyandaga neighbourhood.

Fieldgate Retirement Living: Coming Soon

Burlington Development Application Page

Renders:
Architectural_Plans-0.jpg
Architectural_Plans-62.jpg
Architectural_Plans-63.jpg
Architectural_Plans-64.jpg

not a fan. Located away from transit and removes the one commercial amenity close to the existing neighbourhood.
The level of commercial activity here is minimal and has been for years. The most active space is the commercial day care centre, and day care centres in commercial plazas leave much to be desired.

I do not think you lose anything redeveloping the site,

Not sure of the merits of the proposal, that could use some work.

This has been appealed to the OLT (shocker). Although to be completely honest, I would rather see an investment in the plaza in an effort to get some food options in there, and a corner store of some form.

This has been appealed to the OLT (shocker). Although to be completely honest, I would rather see an investment in the plaza in an effort to get some food options in there, and a corner store of some form.
The only argument I would add is that at one time the strip mall had a ‘corner’ store etc and overtime, the mall has evolved to the state it is now. I cannot argue four stories in the new proposal, and a retirement home, more then reasonable, and hopefully day care facilities at the ground level to serve the local community. Retirement homes inside an existing community, as opposed to isolated on some major arterial connection or without judicial connection to a community always seem to be a plus. The community is going to have to move with the times and at first glance this is a reasonable upgrade on what now exists.

There should be ground-floor business spaces if it’s replacing a plaza. Burlington has walkability issues as is. New development shouldn’t make it more car dependent than it already is.

The only argument I would add is that at one time the strip mall had a ‘corner’ store etc and overtime, the mall has evolved to the state it is now. I cannot argue four stories in the new proposal, and a retirement home, more then reasonable, and hopefully day care facilities at the ground level to serve the local community. Retirement homes inside an existing community, as opposed to isolated on some major arterial connection or without judicial connection to a community always seem to be a plus. The community is going to have to move with the times and at first glance this is a reasonable upgrade on what now exists.
There should be ground-floor business spaces if it’s replacing a plaza. Burlington has walkability issues as is. New development shouldn’t make it more car dependent than it already is.
There is no community here, it's just a bunch of houses, which is the issue. The walkability here is next to zero, and the only reason it's not zero is because of this plaza. I agree seniors' residences should not be built on main arterial roads in areas that aren't walkable, but this location isn't any better, except maybe the fact that it's quiet.

There is no community here, it's just a bunch of houses, which is the issue. The walkability here is next to zero, and the only reason it's not zero is because of this plaza. I agree seniors' residences should not be built on main arterial roads in areas that aren't walkable, but this location isn't any better, except maybe the fact that it's quiet.
My Tyandaga friends would say that you are wrong. It is a bunch of houses, it was designed that way, and they are quite happy with their community. Thank you very much.

Having said that, yes, the walkability to local services is quite low, excluding parks and sports facilities. And by design.

But this strip plaza mostly failed as a service centre and the fact that a day care inhabits so much of it, indicates what services are in demand In the local area.

A four story retirement centre is going to add a demand for other services, but often those services are self contained and directed towards the residents of the home.

Could there and should there be ground floor space for outside commercial? Sure, why not? Day care spaces seems a fit to begin with.

Back