Uhhh........... I have news............ LOL This is part of something much bigger than we thought: (this billed in the planning report as a 'block context plan' which is only a hypothetical proposal of what might be
built, but I don't recall seeing one use the term 'phases' before in respect of a plan for properties not under the control of the same owner.

Huh. I know a few people that work in the office tower marked as "Phase 2" whose company recently increased their footprint and fitted out new floors. I think anything past this first tower is going to be quite a ways into the future. Definitely interesting, though, and I suspect that if the other phases move forward they would need to be as, or more, ambitious in terms of FSI as this first one to make financial sense.

Neat! If we're going to get a POPS there I'd love to see something that references the original Arcade that was on the site. Maybe as a covered open-air market? Seems like it'd be a place where small vendor stalls could work

An Appeals Report seeking to send staff to oppose this at OLT is headed to the next meeting of TEYCC.

The applicant filed their appeal August 9th/23

There are two distinct objections or sets thereof; there are a number of architectural issues around setbacks, reveals, and separation distances....... and there is a very clear message from Planning that they want
to retail some hotel use here:

From the above:

1699022524824.png

1699022634768.png

I am very pleased to see statements regarding the need for non-residential in the financial district, there really should be more builds like hotel and entertainment, but surely condos should not be the overall goal in that area.

Agreed. While I see why a developer would want to intensify this site with residential uses, prioritizing sites like this, and other notable underutilized sites like where the 11 Bay was to be, and the parking lot where the Hub was to be are important for ensuring the Financial District can still grow without cannibalizing more heritage/notable elements of the urban environment within the confines of the TOFD.
There isn't a lack of places to propose more housing downtown, especially at higher densities with the OL line coming online within (hopefully) a decade.

Back