Any chance they go taller than 50 storeys, or is there a reason for the limit?
A 50s office bldg. there is taller than i expected, potentially 800ft/250m
...i doubt any developer would want to build a superstructure in that area

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: syn
Any chance they go taller than 50 storeys, or is there a reason for the limit?

Phase A makes sense as Phase B to E are extremely ambition unless an Amazon comes calling. There's still room in the core where our large companies that can anchor 50 storey towers like to be. A block can make a difference. This is kilometres.

Phase A makes sense as Phase B to E are extremely ambition unless an Amazon comes calling. There's still room in the core where our large companies that can anchor 50 storey towers like to be. A block can make a difference. This is kilometres.
And Canary Wharf doesn't exist?

Hehe.. interesting timing and oddly tailored to the Amazon RFP. Phase A could be done by late 2019/early 2020 if Amazon were to commit by early next year.

Mix of heritage, some new mixed use, yep... Amazon. Hmm!

Edit: there's even Amazon spheres in the park. Same arrangement.

Last edited:
Thanks for playing. Yes, there were troubles for Canary Wharf at first, but I'm not so simpleminded as to be suggesting that East Harbour would follow the exact same history line (for goodness' sake). Plunk a new rapid transit stop here (on an existing main through-line), get a substantial anchor tenant or two, add in all of the other reinvestment that's going into the area, add in the existing neighbourhoods within walking distance, and you've got a site that's actually better located from than get-go than Canary Wharf was. Now Canary Wharf is the going like gangbusters, and there's no reason that East Harbour can't get there while skipping the initial troubles.

I'd like to a side by side comparison if possible it's hard to detect all the different changes over the first variation of this plan.

Off the bat I don't quite enjoy how the park spaces are on the out skirts of the lands I'd like to see some of the green space integrated between the buildings.

Comparison:

Before
upload_2017-4-25_11-23-43-png.106635

After
upload_2017-9-21_16-23-1-png.121845

AoD

Perhaps someone better versed in London's transit history can help but I think that one thing which is giving First Gulf some trouble with pre-leasing here is the degree of uncertainty in the transit planning. Sure we've got plans for a number of different lines utilizing different technologies but Toronto is notorious for planning and, in the case of Eglinton, even starting construction before a change in government priorities causes everything to grind to a halt.

Was the Jubilee Line extension under construction in the early 90s when CW debuted to catastrophic failure? CW Underground station opened in 1999 but was the broader line in planning or under construction 10 years before that?

Perhaps someone better versed in London's transit history can help but I think that one thing which is giving First Gulf some trouble with pre-leasing here is the degree of uncertainty in the transit planning. Sure we've got plans for a number of different lines utilizing different technologies but Toronto is notorious for planning and, in the case of Eglinton, even starting construction before a change in government priorities causes everything to grind to a halt.

Was the Jubilee Line extension under construction in the early 90s when CW debuted to catastrophic failure? CW Underground station opened in 1999 but was the broader line in planning or under construction 10 years before that?
With talk of Amazon's second HQs, suddenly there's more of an artificial kickstart coming into play here. First Gulf needs something large to get going here, (not necessarily Amazon-big), but there's no doubt that a firmer commitment to the Relief Line from the City would be persuasive here… but East Harbour station on 2 GO lines is going to happen, as is a Broadview streetcar. Dates for those, and funding for the streetcar, would help… and will probably be part of a package that the City puts together to woo Amazon. If Amazon goes for somewhere else, this'll take a little longer, but some day, inevitably, East Harbour will happen.

Adding a temporary GO station served by two lines and one stop away from Union would be easy enough to do as a first step, no? That should be sufficient for Day 1 if a major company (Amazon or anyone else) decided to commit to the old factory and future development, with the rest of the improvements and the fancy station to follow.

It does, but let's not forget that it was a complete disaster for the first decade at least. Multiple companies went out of business as a result and it had a fixed light rail connection from the beginning...

Olympia & York anyone?

Thanks for playing. Yes, there were troubles for Canary Wharf at first, but I'm not so simpleminded as to be suggesting that East Harbour would follow the exact same history line (for goodness' sake). Plunk a new rapid transit stop here (on an existing main through-line), get a substantial anchor tenant or two, add in all of the other reinvestment that's going into the area, add in the existing neighbourhoods within walking distance, and you've got a site that's actually better located from than get-go than Canary Wharf was. Now Canary Wharf is the going like gangbusters, and there's no reason that East Harbour can't get there while skipping the initial troubles.

Let's not forget that Canary Wharf was started in the late 1980's with the first building completed in 1991. That timeframe coincided with a major downturn in the economy. Real estate got hit hard. Toronto got the Bay Adelaide stump and basically no commercial development for a decade or more. London got an empty Canary Wharf and the bankruptcy of many including O&Y. Canary Wharf's initial problems had more to do with economics than transportation access.

I see a lot of talk in this tread about Amazon. I'd love to see it but I'm skeptical they'd put a major office like this outside the US. Considering American politics today it certainly would be a PR disaster for the firm. I can see Trump preparing his tweets now.

It would be a strategic move by Bezos against Trump. Bezos and Trump haven't exactly been getting along recently from my understanding - but Trump could lash back with an antitrust investigation. It could devolve into the public and private sector giants fighting, which is something I'm not sure anyone wants.

It's a big mess. Toronto would be a great candidate if it were not for the border. The border is going to be a big line to jump for Amazon.

From Wiki:

The extension was authorised in 1990. A station was originally planned at Blackwall, but this was replaced by diverting the line between Canary Wharf and Stratford underneath the Thames to serve the Greenwich peninsula at North Greenwich station. Plans for the Millennium Dome did not yet exist, and this diversion was made to provide for a planned housing development on the site of disused gasworks. British Gas plc contributed £25 million to the scheme.[3] The stations at Southwark and Bermondsey were not initially certain.[4] Main works were authorised by the London Underground Act 1992,[5] with additional works allowed by the London Underground (Jubilee) Act 1993.[6]

Construction officially started in December 1993, expected to take 53 months.[7] Tunnelling was delayed after a collapse during the Heathrow Express project in October 1994, which used the same New Austrian Tunnelling method.[8] By November 1997 a September 1998 date was planned.[9] By June 1998, opening was planned in Spring 1999.[10] By November 1998, a phased opening, previously rejected, was being considered, with Stratford to North Greenwich planned for spring 1999, to Waterloo for summer 1999, and the link to the Jubilee line for autumn 1999.[11][12] This scheme was followed, with the first phase opening on 14 May 1999, the second on 24 September, and the third on 20 November. Westminster, complicated by the interface with the subsurface platforms, which remained in operation, opened on 22 December 1999, shortly before the Millennium Dome deadline.[13] By February 1999, however, the cost of the extension had gone up to a total of £3.3 billion.[14]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jubilee_Line_Extension

AoD

Back