Great shot. Though I love the detail on the (I believe) east face of this building, I actually think contrary to popular opinion that the best view is from north on University.

yes, that is the best view ^ though the building doesn't look best on it's north/south sides, the real magic happens on the east/west where it tends to stand out more from any ordinary building. This building's got unique geometry and a unique site, but the north side just doesn't justify those qualities :(

either way, this building is still pure win. easily 9/10 or above

I thought Ritz-Carlton was going to house most of the stars?

Looks like these guys want a piece of the action too! No rule that Ritz gets to keep all the stars to themselves, as well I'm pretty sure Trump will get their share as well.

The 'stars' will book in piles of hotels. They'll be spread throughout the downtown along with publicists, critics, directors, film company execs, distributors, paparazzi, assorted Eurotrash, festival goers from beyond Toronto… TIFF is way bigger than a couple of splashy new hotels we've been following.

yes, that is the best view ^ though the building doesn't look best on it's north/south sides, the real magic happens on the east/west where it tends to stand out more from any ordinary building. This building's got unique geometry and a unique site, but the north side just doesn't justify those qualities :(

either way, this building is still pure win. easily 9/10 or above

Yep, agreed. Appreciating the building's unique and tasteful architecture is best done by east/west views, though especially the east where those almost crisscrossing lines are clearly seen. But appreciating the buildings presence--if I'm allowed the fine distinction--I think is best done by the north view.

Shangri-La will be hosing the Asian Film Summit at TIFF, a new event featuring panel discussions from industry people from across Asia. There will also be a banquet hosted by Harvey Weinstein himself, and with Jackie Chan as the guest of honour. Will it be catered by the in-house restaurant, Bosk? By Momofuku? Will the restaurants and meeting/banquet facilities even be ready in time?

As an Asian-based hotel chain, it's obviously a good way to launch the hotel, hosting an event that attracts players in the Asian film world and featuring Asian film directors, stars and industry executives in attendance. But when they set this up I'm sure they must have expected the hotel to be up and running well before the event.

Shangri-la Toronto is an official TIFF hospitality partner, but so are the likes of the Ritz-Carlton, Trump, Thompson, Metropolitan, Royal York, Drake and others. Having stars hanging out at the hotel's bars and restaurants (if they are ready to open) would actually be a great way of promoting the hotel to locals as a hip and happening spot. I think of the four (Ritz, Trump, Four Seasons, Shangri-La), I think Shangri-La has the potential to be the coolest of the lot.

Taken yesterday,

All good things come to an end... the white blinds strike back!

7839513986_8a87eca629_b.jpg

On a positive note, interesting geometry:

7839506174_7b8f035180_c.jpg

7839510420_dacc4b1371_c.jpg

7839498712_89695f2889_b.jpg

Amazing shots all around steveve!!!
I have been down there after dark a few times over the past week, and still haven't seen the light strips :( If anyone sees them from close up please post a photo!!!

Something that'd be neat is, with regards to the white blinds issue in these glass towers, if they had windows that, from the outside, showed a uniform colour, but from the inside were entirely transparent, as if there was no finish on the outside that was intended to hide the blinds.

One can dream.

Those are called mirror-glass buildings, and to me they're creepy. I'd rather see signs of life in the windows, not some monolithic blank face.

Finally saw the night lighting in person this evening -Kind of a let down. This is the only thing I dislike about SL so far:

2W4l1.jpg

4uebI.jpg

s5KqC.jpg

YVdt8.jpg

Back