Lookout open today!

IMG_1764.png

Some pushback against @AlexBozikovic 's critique of the Villiers plan as too car centric.

Walk Toronto with a Twitter thread:

From the above I've just extracted the on image.

View attachment 562455

Of note in the above, Centre Street is to have only a single vehicle lane of 4M in width with the rest of the right of way being dubbed pedestrian priority.

The darker orange section of Old Cherry will be pedestrian only.

In response to same, we have comment from former Mayor candidate Gil Penalosa:

View attachment 562456
I see zero need for Centre Street to have public vehicle access honestly. Every building that fronts it is already connected to at least 1 road already.

A bridge over troubled opinions? Front page story can be found here:

<3

A bridge over troubled opinions? Front page story can be found here:

<3
I'm pretty sure this was the one I voted for. It's a statement, and compliments the other new bridges well. The lighting is what really sold it though, it's a landmark.

TBH I'm surprised no one has tagged those white bridges already.
Agree. The graffiti problem in this city is out of control and there's no political will to curb it.

I once watched someone spay a bridge ten feet away from a police officer and when I said to the officer, "Are you going to stop that?!" He said, "Call 311."

It's a disgrace.

Anyway, yeah I can't believe those bridges haven't been tagged yet like everything else in the city.

Hopefully when it does get tagged they'll paint over it right away like OCAD does every time the legs on their building gets wrecked.

Agree. The graffiti problem in this city is out of control and there's no political will to curb it.

I once watched someone spay a bridge ten feet away from a police officer and when I said to the officer, "Are you going to stop that?!" He said, "Call 311."

It's a disgrace.

Anyway, yeah I can't believe those bridges haven't been tagged yet like everything else in the city.

Hopefully when it does get tagged they'll paint over it right away like OCAD does every time the legs on their building gets wrecked.
Unfortunately, as noted on Mayor Chow thread, City only seems to give the workers cement coloured paint. Fortunately, the bridges are still with WT who seem more attuned to colour!

One of the best defences are graffiti proof coatings. If a building or bridge thus treated is tagged the paint can be quickly removed with a hose.

My neighbour has this on his garage and we chuckle at the human garbage among us that try and fail to make their mark, literally.

Last edited:
One of the best defences are graffiti proof coatings. If a building or bridge thus treated is tagged the paint can be quickly removed with a hose.

My neighbour has this on his garage and we chuckle at the human garbage among us that try and fail to make their mark, literally.
Never thought of it as an “us vs. them” problem…rather initiatives of taking care of a persistent and annoying problem. /shrug

Reactions: DSC
W

Where exactly is the line between graffiti and "public art"?

W

Where exactly is the line between graffiti and "public art"?
If you’re requested by or have approval of the property owner it’s not graffiti. Every single blade of grass in this city is owned by either a level of government, a publicly traded company, private business or home owner. If without this property owner’s approval, you deface anyone’s property other than your own, it’s graffiti. And “art” approved by the property owner can be reclassified as graffiti and be required to be removed under the city bylaws if deemed offensive.

Last edited:
Never thought of it as an “us vs. them” problem…rather initiatives of taking care of a persistent and annoying problem. /shrug
When you live under siege like my neighbours do, it’s definitely us vs. them. One side wants to just live and enjoy their lives and personal property in peace, the other wants to steal your parcels, bicycles and anything else so to convert it to fentanyl at the Wellesley bazaar. And if they’re not stealing, they’re tagging.

btw is the playground design shown anywhere ? I saw some concept art but it wasn't clear to me if they had finalized the design ? It seemed to be ambitious at least initially but I was concerned it would be scaled back like many other things.

When you live under siege like my neighbours do, it’s definitely us vs. them. One side wants to just live and enjoy their lives and personal property in peace, the other wants to steal your parcels, bicycles and anything else so to convert it to fentanyl at the Wellesley bazaar. And if they’re not stealing, they’re tagging.
...glad we don't have gun laws like Texas then, lol.

If you’re requested by or have approval of the property owner it’s not graffiti.
Err...it doesn't work that way. The style and execution is still graffiti, it's instead legal. So no, the parrot is not just resting here.

Back