Taken 29 April.

IMG_1223.jpeg

IMG_1224.jpeg
IMG_1225.jpeg
IMG_1226.jpeg

I took this old photo last year, posting here so I don't have to give anyone credit lol
But the mural was apparently designed by Frank Stella,
The news reported he passed away last weekend. RIP

Does anyone know anything about this mural? Is it a reproduction of his existing work, and did he actually come to Mirvish Village?
Or am I mistaken and it's just a different artist with the same name?

PXL_20230401_194454045.jpg

I took this old photo last year, posting here so I don't have to give anyone credit lol
But the mural was apparently designed by Frank Stella,
The news reported he passed away last weekend. RIP

Does anyone know anything about this mural? Is it a reproduction of his existing work, and did he actually come to Mirvish Village?
Or am I mistaken and it's just a different artist with the same name?

View attachment 561803
Off the top of my head, and I may be wrong about some of this, but here it goes:
David Mirvish was a big fan of Stella's work and bought quite a bit of his work. In the art old book store on this street they had a huge painting (on canvas I believe) hanging in it for as long as I visited it. The Princes of Wales theatre has a floor with a dedicated commission of his. So I'm confident in saying this mural was commissioned and designed by The Frank Stella (although I doubt he spent any time up on the scaffolding himself 😅 ; not that it makes it any less his art.). The future Mirvish gallery (apparently will be on King near the main theaters) will likely be stuffed with Stella's paintings. ...Hopefully this is of some use to you. Sorry, no link references, just knowledge from my (gallery) artist days.

Back