the central city will continue to rise over the coming decades. The wealthy protected neighbourhoods to the north (Rosedale, South Hill, The Annex, Cabbagetown), Lake Ontario, and the Don Valley will all act as barriers to expansion of the core which may actually lead to your desired effect, Steveve. Yonge & Eg and North York will also probably continue to go skyward

Yeah, the Don Valley, the Lake, and the Rosedale Ravine kind of form defined boundaries of downtown. The only area that's vague is to the west. Is it Spadina? Is it Bathurst? There's no really defining geopgraphical feature that defines the edge. In a lot of cases, streets are kind of arbitrary borders. It would definitely be cool to see the high rise development extend further east all the way to the Don Valley though.

Yeah, the Don Valley, the Lake, and the Rosedale Ravine kind of form defined boundaries of downtown. The only area that's vague is to the west. Is it Spadina? Is it Bathurst? There's no really defining geopgraphical feature that defines the edge. In a lot of cases, streets are kind of arbitrary borders. It would definitely be cool to see the high rise development extend further east all the way to the Don Valley though.

High Park perhaps? Up to Bloor Street at least?

High Park perhaps? Up to Bloor Street at least?

I think that's a bit too far west. If you're going to go that far west, might as well do the Humber River. A lot of people are starting to see downtown Toronto as kind of a mini-Manhattan, and one of the things that makes Manhattan Manhattan is that it has very defined edges (from geography, obviously). There's no debate as where Manhattan begins and ends. Downtown Toronto is geographically closed off on 2.5 sides (half the north side is by the Rosedale ravine, half isn't), but the 1.5 sides that it isn't closed on kind of ruins the "dense island" effect. Not that that's a bad thing, I'm just saying it makes it harder to pin down exactly what is "downtown", and how far west these high rises should be stretching.

I think that's a bit too far west. If you're going to go that far west, might as well do the Humber River. A lot of people are starting to see downtown Toronto as kind of a mini-Manhattan, and one of the things that makes Manhattan Manhattan is that it has very defined edges (from geography, obviously). There's no debate as where Manhattan begins and ends. Downtown Toronto is geographically closed off on 2.5 sides (half the north side is by the Rosedale ravine, half isn't), but the 1.5 sides that it isn't closed on kind of ruins the "dense island" effect. Not that that's a bad thing, I'm just saying it makes it harder to pin down exactly what is "downtown", and how far west these high rises should be stretching.
The difficulty with defining the boundaries of "downtown Toronto" would not be dissimilar to the difficulty of defining that of downtown/lower Manhattan. At the end, it's all arbitrary.

Our different geography, scale, history, climate & culture are all good reasons to NOT look at Toronto as a "Mini Manhattan" but rather as a changing 21st century TORONTO. Why do these people you speak of only envision a second rate version of someone else's city when they could direct their energies, ideas and talents towards creating a first-rate version of their own city? This has always bothered me.

I think it is a curse for Toronto to be located so close to the shadow of such a big, powerful urban centre like NYC - it seems to throw shade on everyone's imagination here.

our different geography, scale, history, climate & culture are all good reasons to not look at toronto as a "mini manhattan" but rather as a changing 21st century toronto. Why do these people you speak of only envision a second rate version of someone else's city when they could direct their energies, ideas and talents towards creating a first-rate version of their own city? This has always bothered me.

bravo!!

Is there a higher-res image of this skyline shot anywhere?

Imagine this view with Ice Aura and Bloor....And Shangri La....it will aslo have a large impact

Traynor, could ya do a Quick render with those projects??? even a line drawing, so I can see where they'll be. Ice would be behind SL..correct?? 1 Bloor behind 4S?? Burano too?? That will be a great skyline view in 5 years /!!

I don't want to bother working on this image unless I can get a high-res version. So, as requested I just did a line version, to give you an idea of some of the towers to be added in the near future. (However, I did finish Four Seasons because it was easy.)

5593255497_a0b3fd2dd4_b.jpg

(Original courtesy interchange42 )

Legend of added structures:

Attachments

• Future South View 001 peg.jpg
    Future South View 001 peg.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 187
  • Future South View 001B peg.jpg
    Future South View 001B peg.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 313
Last edited:
Thanks for that Traynor...Five (46s) and 9-Grenville (52s) might also add some height to that.

You're welcome.

Yeah... And the 4 Parliament and Bloor Towers, 555 Sherbourne, 403 Bloor East, Cumberland Terrace, Milan Residences, Yorkville Condos, 880 Bay...etc... There are too many to keep up with.

Sheesh! :eek:

Back