People are not getting paid for the work already done. The P wasn't installed because people aren't getting paid. So do you really think anybody on the developers side cares about the lighting at this point? And the city doesn't get involved in issues like this. Why would they? At some point the financial issues will be resolved and then we might finally see the P go up and the lights come on. Until then stop worrying about it.
The city gets involved with public art not being displayed the way it is supposed to be.

For some reason, the light feature on Trump always gave me the vibe of one of those things that would never actually be turned on. I could see it being dark for years and years. What's their motivation to turn it on?

I doubt the city cares whether or not it gets turned on.

I don't know if they do, but they should. It's part of the package of public benefits that they try to get out of major developments. You can have the city funding all public art out of property taxes to beautify the city, or you can bundle it with those development benefits and save money.

I just can't see very many councillors givings a damn about this. Perhaps someone like Jaye Robinson would? Try sending some councillors an email and see if they can work this out.

Obviously it didn't turn out as well as people hoped, however I don't think it's an ugly building. Moreso I think the problem is the location. It's completely hidden in most skyline shots, so it doesn't have the effect that a building of its stature should. Had it been built a bit further west or east I think there would be a lot more praise for how it turned out, simply since it would've been much more visible.

For example, the shorter tower of Ice is about 50M shorter than the architectural peak of Trump, yet even though it's not even finished cladding is already a lot more prominent on skyline shots. The taller of the two will be even moreso once it's topped out. Trump in this location would've been much more iconic.

Last edited:
It's the fact that it's hidden that saves it. I think people have mostly already forgotten that it's there. If it were in a more prominent location I'm sure there'd be far more complaints about it. Once BA East blocks it from eastern views and INDX/RAIII block the views from the northwest it'll be almost invisible

Once BA East blocks it from eastern views and INDX/RAIII block the views from the northwest it'll be almost invisible

What a sad comment on the quality of a building that the best we can hope for is that it will be hidden from view, though I agree.

The lighting feature is flashing neon pink with white sparkles. No opinion.

The "neon pink" is the red, green, and blue pixels of the LED fixture flashing on at full all at the same time, and the white is a pure white LED pixel.

This is an "all on - all off" test. The mechanical penthouse lights are on right now although I haven't seen the lighting feature on tonight, yet.

I remember when inwas a security guard at the Shangri-la construction site and they would test the LED strip it had so many different colors and patterns and my favorite was the white sparkling lights that look identical as to what use to be on the eifel tower in paris..i really hope they get the strip on order and beautify the skyline so much

Obviously it didn't turn out as well as people hoped, however I don't think it's an ugly building. Moreso I think the problem is the location. It's completely hidden in most skyline shots, so it doesn't have the effect that a building of its stature should. Had it been built a bit further west or east I think there would be a lot more praise for how it turned out, simply since it would've been much more visible.

For example, the shorter tower of Ice is about 50M shorter than the architectural peak of Trump, yet even though it's not even finished cladding is already a lot more prominent on skyline shots. The taller of the two will be even moreso once it's topped out. Trump in this location would've been much more iconic.

Thank god this thing is not in a more prominent location. It's like the skyscraper equivalent of Toronto Life Square (or whatever we call that now). I was walking by it with a person who has no background or particular interest in architecture and they looked up and asked "why'd they stick that spike (spire) on one corner of it when the rest of the roof looks so square? It looks really awkward." Yes it does.

Back