Uh oh. The silver part going up on the first setback looks like "spandrel done wrong" to me. AKA it looks like they designed the building to be a sleek, expanse of glass, but then filled in lots of the mullions along certain sections with spandrel as an afterthought.

The result looks unintentionally heavy, like a spandrel wall punctuated by vision glass/ windows, as opposed to a design that considered what the contrast between spandrel and glazing would look like before it was constructed.

I am not complaining about heavy spandrel use because it's actually a very positive feature from an eco-friendliness standpoint. But I prefer an integrated design process where the spandrel is considered as part of the design.

Anyways, I'll wait to see more of this stuff go up to bitch any more about it. In general, I've been a big fan of this project and how it treats its surroundings.

The renderings indicated a lot of mullions and spandrel, so I'm not too surprised. I didn't think the result would turn out this bad though.

urbantoronto-2007-5721.jpg

http://urbantoronto.ca/database/projects/berczy

The rendering didn't show such a matte spandrel and such a dark colour of glazing though. The spandrel looks much like regular vision glass in that rendering compared to what we ended up with.

In the rendering I see (a good illusion of) an all-glass block, above the brick podium.

In reality, I see a heavy spandrel-clad box with contrasting glazed punctuations.

Completely agree with everyone re: upper portion spandrels. It's not looking too promising but i'll wait to see how this looks with a few floors cladded before I make a final judgement. They still have a lot of work to do. I remember first hating Couture, but once they put the finishing touches on it everything came together nicely.

The use of back-painted glass would have certainly been a much better solution in lieu of the metal panels. You can tell at this early stage already that this would look better.

The crane is coming down!

CHURCH ST @ FRONT ST E

Full road closure of Church Street for removal of tower crane at 65 Front Street East premises.
2/10/2013 11:00:00 PM

The crane is coming down!

CHURCH ST @ FRONT ST E

Full road closure of Church Street for removal of tower crane at 65 Front Street East premises.
2/10/2013 11:00:00 PM

I should post some parting shots of the crane then.

IMG_3577.jpg

IMG_3578.jpg

Sorry if this has already been answered somewhere, but does anyone know what is happening (if anything) with that parking lot directly south of The Bercy?

Thanks so much SkyJacked and everyone else for all the amazing photos! The built form of this building looks good from a bird's eye view.

How in the world do you operate a crane that close to the slab? Having the back end of it blindly swinging around reminds me of an idiot walking around with a 2x4 over his/her shoulder.

Back