News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

I am so glad I went to the opening ceremony. It completely blew away my expectations. Also glad I decided to leave 10 minutes before it ended. I remembered hearing about the testing of fireworks and made sure I was outside to watch. I did feel bad for everyone who stayed inside though. I can see why people were upset.

I think it would be accurate to say that it met one's expectations for the Pan Am games. This isn't the Olympics.

AoD

I found it way better than Vancouver's opening ceremony. It was put together quite well. The tacky Canadian sterotypes were left out, and the music was fantastic. Cirque did an awesome job.

My only worry going into it was the fact that Cirque was in charge, and I had never been to a Cirque show so I expected some small circus type production that wouldn't translate well in a massive stadium like SkyDome.

Even the ferries are decked out

IMG_5565.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_5565.JPG
    IMG_5565.JPG
    241.3 KB · Views: 461
It will be interesting having so many athletics facilities, presumably all in downtown Toronto.

Why didn't we build the venues close together for Pan Am, so they could be reused from Toronto's Olympics?
Because this isn't really the Toronto Pam Am Games, it's not even the GTA Games, but is in fact the Golden Horseshoe Pam Am Games. I imagine folks in Niagara, Hamilton, Markham and other ex-TO venues are a little miffed at these being called the Toronto games.

I am so glad I went to the opening ceremony. It completely blew away my expectations. Also glad I decided to leave 10 minutes before it ended. I remembered hearing about the testing of fireworks and made sure I was outside to watch. I did feel bad for everyone who stayed inside though. I can see why people were upset.

I really am upset. Call me bitter but I spent money to be excluded from the most memorable event of the PanAm Games. I understand why they couldn't open the dome midway through the show but that's only because they didn't plan for it. They must've known that people at the show would be disappointed to miss out on the fireworks. All we got was a little poof around the flame that made people giggle. Meanwhile, the people outside the stadium got an historic fireworks show that will be remembered for decades. Those inside had to watch it on TV.

Most Olympic stadiums don't even have a roof so they could've come up with another way to set up the lights and audio equipment. Opening the dome during the speeches would've given us a show off moment for the world: "Look at what our stadium can do: it's a convertible!" Then they could've had the base jumper parachute into the stadium and lit the flame. The fireworks could've included the SkyDome as well with people inside getting a unique perspective.

I'm making myself even more bitter by thinking about what could've, should've been. I really hope that they do an encore for the closing ceremonies or I might just be bitter forever :p

Because this isn't really the Toronto Pam Am Games, it's not even the GTA Games, but is in fact the Golden Horseshoe Pam Am Games. I imagine folks in Niagara, Hamilton, Markham and other ex-TO venues are a little miffed at these being called the Toronto games.

Yes when we won the games it was the GH games but they are actually far more centralized than they were intended to be....not sure people are too miffed about that but we should be miffed about 7 figure expenditures creating temporary venues when there are existing, capable, empty venues in the area not being used at all.

I really am upset. Call me bitter but I spent money to be excluded from the most memorable event of the PanAm Games. I understand why they couldn't open the dome midway through the show but that's only because they didn't plan for it. They must've known that people at the show would be disappointed to miss out on the fireworks. All we got was a little poof around the flame that made people giggle. Meanwhile, the people outside the stadium got an historic fireworks show that will be remembered for decades. Those inside had to watch it on TV.

Most Olympic stadiums don't even have a roof so they could've come up with another way to set up the lights and audio equipment. Opening the dome during the speeches would've given us a show off moment for the world: "Look at what our stadium can do: it's a convertible!" Then they could've had the base jumper parachute into the stadium and lit the flame. The fireworks could've included the SkyDome as well with people inside getting a unique perspective.

I'm making myself even more bitter by thinking about what could've, should've been. I really hope that they do an encore for the closing ceremonies or I might just be bitter forever :p

It did seem strange to me that they did not take advantage of the stadium's most prominent feature (the removable roof) in the presentation....I really thought there would have been two plans for the show 1) if bad weather a show with roof closed....2) if weather good, a plan where part of the show is conducted with the roof open.

These were, I believe, the most expensive tickets in the games.....and, afterall, the stars of the show are the athletes.....and to get to the cauldron lighting and have those two groups locked inside watching it on TV is a bad idea (IMO)....I guess we have the Vancouver games to thank for this as they sent Gretzky on that bizarre run/truck ride out of their stadium too.

Back